With a counselor's assistance, students are guided through a process in which they will identify academic challenges, set goals, and discuss strategies to achieve success. The Academic Resource Center offers individual sessions for students who need to develop better organizational and learning strategies as well as ongoing counseling and mentoring services. We also have handouts available with a variety of study and learning tips.
Regardless of your grade point average or classification, academic counseling can help you to:
- identify issues that may be affecting your academic goals
- identify the source(s) of academic difficulties
- design an action plan to resolve the issue(s)
- identify available resources
- establish goals
- identify your preferred learning style
When should I meet with an Academic Counselor?
You should meet with an Academic Counselor when you:
- feel you're “not doing well”
- feel under academic pressure
- are placed on academic probation
- want to sharpen your skills in time management, stress management or organization
- need help with establishing study plans or test taking strategies
- want to talk about concerns that are impacting your academic performance
What is the difference between my Academic Advisor and Academic Counselor?
Your advisor helps you choose coursework to meet your educational and career goals,
informs you about academic policies and procedures, and helps solve a variety of academic
problems. Your academic advisor is typically a staff or faculty member in your specific
major who can provide you with resources and suggestions particular to your field
Your academic counselor and will help you develop strategies and establish an action plan to be successful in the courses that you select with your academic advisor. While you can certainly discuss your course schedule and educational goals with your academic counselor, it is important that you also meet regularly with your advisor.
How do I schedule an academic counseling meeting?
Lisa C. Hempen, M.Ed.
Student Success Coordinator
- Academic Resource Center Home
- Academic Counseling
- Accessibility Committee
- Assistive Technology
- Faculty Resources
- Meet Our Staff
- Plagiarism Prevention
- Student Resources
- Testing Center
- Tutor and Writing Coach Schedules
- Writing Center & Online Writing Center