Classroom & Online Students | Webster University

Classroom & Online Students

General Information

All Webster graduate students are required to meet with an academic advisor to obtain a degree plan and review the requirements for their selected academic program.

Students who are near a Webster extended campus should contact that site for advising. Any online student who is unsure about whom to contact or who is not close to a site location should contact the Academic Advising Center at (314) 968-6972 to be linked with an advisor and set up an appointment.

When possible, online students are welcomed to schedule an in-person appointment, but appointments can also be done via phone, Skype, instant messenger, or by email.


All students should begin their orientation process by downloading a copy of the Advising Syllabus. This syllabus will help you in setting up your annual calendar, assist you with locating resources, and helps you stay on track to your degree completion.

Download our orientation packet, which helps new graduate students become familiar with a variety of on-campus and online resources, such as online registration, the online graduate catalog and online course schedule, and accessing student email.

Students who are considering taking online classes as well as classes on campus should also review the resources available on the Online Learning Center website.

All online students should download the Online Advising Memo and read through it completely prior to their advising appointment. The Online Advising Memo which provides new online graduate students with:

  • Information about the registration process and how to schedule an advising appointment
  • Billing and financial information and useful phone numbers
  • Important academic policies and procedures regarding future registration

Pre-Requisite Course Waivers, Requisite Courses, and Electives

Some programs, such as the MBA, the MS in Finance, and the MS in Environmental Management, require prerequisite courses. Students can find information about waiving or testing out of courses here.

Most programs also have a requisite course, usually numbered "5000," that must be taken prior to any other core course. If you believe that you have the necessary academic background, speak to your advisor regarding how to request a waiver. Students should remember that waivers carry no any requisite course waiver would require replacement by an appropriate elective to reach the necessary credits required for degree conferral.

Please contact an academic advisor about what courses can count as an elective or course substitution, as the available options may differ depending on the academic program. Students enrolled in programs in the School of Business & Technology (SBT) may choose elective from other SBT majors, or from any MBA area of emphasis.

Elective may require that a requisite course be taken. Please see the prerequisite and requisite course page for additional information.

Transfer Credit

Coursework from other regionally accredited academic institutions, professional military education and/or corporate training classes may be eligible for transfer into your graduate degree program. Learn more here.

Sequential Degrees

A student who holds an MA, MS or an equivalent graduate degree from Webster University or from another regionally accredited college or university may qualify for a sequential graduate degree from Webster University. Sequential degrees are reduced in credit hours, as students are not required to complete elective credits. Because of the credit reduction, transfer credit is not permitted for sequential degrees. If a core course in a sequential is waived, students must take a relevant elective as a course substitution. NOTE: Not all graduate programs are eligible as sequential degrees (i.e. MA in Counseling, MBA with emphasis area).

Sequential students who have completed a master's degree through Webster do not need to re-apply for admission. Simply contact an academic advisor at your Webster campus to receive a sequential degree plan and to register for your first course in your program.

Returning Students

Students who began a graduate program at a Webster University campus or online and have not been enrolled for five consecutive terms (one academic calendar year) should contact an academic advisor at their nearest Webster campus to receive a current degree plan and register for courses. After five consecutive terms, Webster students must adhere to the academic degree requirements of the current graduate catalog.

Those who are not close to a Webster campus and want to complete their program online, or who wish to attend the home campus in Webster Groves, MO, should contact the Academic Advising Center to schedule an advising appointment. Check the Online Programs website for a list of programs that may be completed entirely online.

Registration Preparation

As a graduate student, you can register online after you begin your first term at Webster. Fully admitted students may register for a maximum of two courses per 9-week term.

To register appropriately for classes:

  • 1. Use the degree plan provided in your initial academic advising session, or review your degree requirements in the Graduate Studies Catalog. After you begin your initial term, you can access your online degree plan, called your “degree audit,” at Registration & Services Online.

2. Use the online course schedule to view available courses.

3. Ensure that you have no active holds on your student account.

4. Register online at Registration & Services Online.

If your acceptance letter indicates that you are accepted under special status, please remember that you are limited to one course per term until you complete the first four core courses in your program. If you need help registering, contact your primary campus (or the Academic Advising Center if you live in the St. Louis metro area).

Advising/Registration for Specialized Programs

If you have been accepted into the Master of Science in Computer Science program, please contact Dr. Al Cawns at He is the MS Computer Science Academic Advisor and is located at the home campus.

Students interested in the Master of Science in Forensic Accounting program should contact Denise Harrell in the School of Business at

Students interested in the Master of Science in Nursing should contact the Department of Nursing at (314) 246-7483. Registration is completed by the Nursing Department Representative.

If you have been accepted into th Master of Arts in International Relations program, please contact Dr. Robert Barnidge at He is the MA International Relations Academic Advisor located at the home campus.

Students interested in the Master of Arts in Counseling can explore specialized admissions requirements and areas of emphasis on the department website. If you have questions pertaining to the admissions requirements, please contact the Office of Admission at 314-246-7800. If you would like to make an appointment to discuss the program with a faculty member prior to application, please contact

If you have been accepted into a program housed in the School of Education, contact the appropriate School of Education Office or call 314-246-8007.

Students interested in the Master of Arts in Art program should contact the Art Department directly at 314-968-7171.

Students interested in the Master of Music (MM) or the Master of Arts (MA) in Music program should contact the Music Department directly at 314-968-7032.

Students interested in the Master of Fine Arts (MFA) in Arts Management and Leadership program should contact the Graduate Admissions Office at 314-968-7100.

Petition to Graduate

All students must complete a petition to graduate. This should be returned to the Academic Advising center or to the student's home campus. Students enrolling in their final course should fill out the petition at the time of enrollment. Students can find a copy of the petition to graduate here.

Campus Resources

Campus Life »

Find information regarding campus life clubs & organizations, dining, housing and more.

Student Resources »

Get links to information about libraries, academic assistance, financial aid, drop and withdrawal dates and more.