Advising for International Undergraduate Students


After you have finished reviewing the information on this page, please review the undergraduate student resources that apply to you:


Undergraduate students are advised by faculty members in their major. Students will receive an advisor assignment letter by mail after declaring a major. Undeclared students will be assigned an academic advisor in the Academic Advising Center. Students enrolled in English as a Second Language (ESL) coursework will be advised by the International Academic Advisor in the Academic Advising Center.

For questions related to F-1 and J-1 visa status and enrollment requirements, international students may consult with the International Academic Advisor in the Academic Advising Center, Nancy Haparimwi. Nancy may be reached by email at or by requesting an appointment in advance by calling the Advising Center at (314) 968-6972. Telephone appointments and Instant Messenger appointments may also be requested.

Return to Top

International Services

International Services provides information for prospective and current international students on a variety of topics. Current students can visit this link for information about annual vacation term, change in major or level, withdrawal or leave of absence, extension of program, to shorten program, or regarding a transfer from Webster University. Related forms can be found here.

Return to Top

F-1 and J-1 Enrollment Requirements

International students on F-1 (student) and J-1 (exchange visitor) visas must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester. Students who receive Webster financial aid or scholarships must enroll in a minimum of 13 credit hours per semester. Students enrolled in a full program of English as a Second Language (ESL) classes may enroll in less than 12 credit hours as determined by their academic advisor and the ESL Coordinator. Undergraduate students are eligible to take a vacation from study each summer term. Current health information.

Return to Top

Orientation Materials

Download our Orientation Packet, which helps new undergraduate students become familiar with a variety of on-campus and online resources, such as online registration, the online undergraduate catalog and online course schedule, and accessing student email.

Return to Top

New Student Registration

Step 1: Review the Undergraduate Studies Catalog to review available majors. Webster University offers over 100 different majors from which you can choose. Write down the names of majors you may be interested in studying.

Step 2: If your acceptance letter indicates that you are required to take on-campus English Proficiency Tests, make arrangements to sit for the exam during scheduled testing dates. You will register for classes with an advisor after your on-campus exams are complete.

Step 3: Review course descriptions for introductory (1000-2000 level) courses in your major in the Undergraduate Studies Catalog. If you are undeclared or unsure of your major, look for descriptions of courses that may interest you. Write down course numbers and titles of courses.

Step 4: Choose a First Year Seminar. All first-semester freshmen are required to take a First Year Seminar during the fall semester. After registration begins each year, seats fill up quickly. Choose several different seminars so that you have alternates in mind if your first choice is already full.

Step 5: Review the Global Citizenship requirements. Write down the course number and titles of GCP courses you may be interested in taking. Many first-semester freshmen take one or two courses that fulfill these requirements in their first year of study.

Step 6: Using the notes you wrote down about majors and courses of interest, search the Course Schedule online to check if the course/s are available in your first semester. (Please note that first year students may not take 8-week night classes during the first semester.) Write down a list of the course numbers, titles, and SECTION numbers for classes you would like to take.

Step 7: Submit all Advanced Placement (AP) exam results, International Baccalaureate (IB) certificate or diploma results, General Certificate of Education (GCE) results to the Office of Admissions. Advisors can access information on any potential transfer credit after the Office of Admissions receives the official documentation.

Step 8: Overseas students may contact Academic Advising for an email registration consultation, or if you prefer, you may request a telephone or Instant Messenger appointment. Contact Academic Advising at or call us at 314-968-6972.

Step 9: Getting Involved - The Multicultural Center and International Student Affairs (MCISA) is your go-to resource for getting involved at Webster University. There are many programs, volunteer opportunities, social engagements, professional and developmental opportunities available to enhance your Webster University experience. MCISA also coordinates your arrival and orientation.

Return to Top

Registration for Current Students

Login to Connections, Student Academic Services channel, and review your Degree Audit. Identify courses from your major, General Education or Global Citizenship Program requirements, electives (and minors or certificates) in which you are interested. Write down course numbers, section numbers and titles.

Using the Undergraduate Studies Catalog, review course descriptions. Write down course numbers and titles of courses.

Using the notes you wrote down about courses of interest, search the Course Schedule online to check if the courses are available in the upcoming semester. Write down a list of the course numbers, titles, and SECTION numbers.

Advisors can give students clearance to register online using Connections. Prepare in advance for your advising appointment by making a list of courses you are interested in taking or a sample schedule, as well as any questions you want to review with your advisor. PLEASE NOTE: Faculty advisors may have different hours of availability based on their teaching schedules. Contact your faculty advisor directly to make an appointment.

To find out who your assigned faculty or staff advisor is, login to your Degree Audit. Your advisor's name will appear in top left corner. To find contact information for your advisor, search the Faculty/Staff Directory.

Holds can be viewed in Connections on the main page of your Student Academic Services channel. Resolve any holds before registration begins.

When registration online opens, use Connections to register online.

Return to Top

Undergraduate Transfer Credit Resources

Undergraduate students may request a review of transfer credit courses completed in college-level programs. For new students, submit official transcripts from each institution or testing agency directly to the International Recruitment and Services office as an admission requirement. An academic advisor can provide you with an estimate of how your transfer credit may apply towards degree requirements at Webster University.

The Office of the Registrar notifies students of an official transfer credit award upon receipt and review of all transcripts and upon full admission to the university.

Off Campus Study Request: Currently enrolled undergraduate students may request permission to take classes at another school or college and transfer courses to Webster University, subject to current transfer credit policy and residency requirements.

Submit the following form for approval by an Academic Advisor before enrolling at another institution: Off-Campus Study Request Form.

Return to Top

Drop/Withdrawal Requests

International students on F-1 and J-1 visas must maintain full time enrollment at all times. Students may drop during drop/add periods as long as they remain in the minimum credits required for full time status. As a rule, international students on F-1 and J-1 visas are not permitted to withdraw if such withdrawal reduces enrollment below full-time status. Please see your academic advisor before considering a withdrawal.

Return to Top

Working in the United States

On-Campus Employment: Students on F-1 and J-1 visas are allowed to request permission to work on-campus for up to twenty (20) hours per week during enrollment sessions. For the current list of available on-campus employment opportunities, please visit the Career Planning and Development Center's Student Employment Page.

Off-Campus Employment: International students cannot work off-campus without specific legal authorization.

Curricular Practical Training: This allows a student who has maintained F-1 status for at least nine (9) months (or four consecutive full time terms of enrollment) to work within his/her field of study during an approved internship for academic credit. In order to qualify for CPT, students must meet with an academic advisor and obtain a letter of recommendation and register for one to six credits of internship, COOP, practicum, student teaching, etc. Students should consult the faculty in their school or college for specific eligibility requirements for internship-for-credit.

College of Arts and Sciences, Leigh Gerdine College of Fine Arts, and School of Education internships: students will need to contact their faculty advisor.

School of Business and Technology internships

School of Communications internships

Optical Practical Training: Optional Practical Training (OPT) allows students to work within their field of study for up to one year after their degree completion. OPT is work that is applied for and granted by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

The student must apply for OPT BEFORE graduation to be eligible by maintaining full time enrollment for a minimum of 9 months prior to graduation (or four consecutive academic terms). International Services recommends that students apply for OPT up to 120 days before graduation. If granted, the student is then allowed to work anywhere within the US for twelve (12) months full-time or twenty-four (24) months part-time. OPT is available only once per degree level. (ex. Associates Degree, Bachelor's Degree, Masters Degree). OPT will not be granted for a second US Bachelor's or Master's degree.

An application for Optional Practical Training must include a letter of recommendation from the student's academic advisor.

Return to Top