Hands-On Art Training (HAT)
July 10–21, 2017
Spend two weeks immersed in hands-on art training, interesting conversations, and small group workshops led by the dynamic art faculty and student mentors of the Department of Art, Design, and Art History at Webster University.
HAT is an intensive art-focused summer institute for high school students. Ideal for sophomores and juniors who are beginning to consider options for college, the HAT institute will help you build your portfolio for college application with artwork that reflects your individuality and unique skills.
Discover your artistic potential in state-of-the-art studios for drawing, sculpture, painting, printmaking, photography, ceramics, and graphic design.
Enjoy portfolio presentations by recent graduates from Webster University who are working in art-related fields or attending graduate school.
Visit local art galleries and museums with an art historian as your guide.
Share your artistic achievements with family and friends as part of the 2017 Emerging Artists Exhibition, a public exhibition of your work at Webster University's Hunt Gallery.
Each weekday from 9am–4pm, a different Webster University professor will work with you in their area of expertise. As professional artists, HAT instructors offer contemporary perspectives as they share advice for today's art world. State-of-the-art equipment and spacious studios at Webster University will provide a place to improve your technique. Catered lunches are provided daily, during which a current BFA student or recent graduate will share their work and discuss their daily art making process.
- All Emerging Artists who successfully complete the HAT 2017 Summer Institute are automatically accepted into Webster University's Department of Art, Design, and Art History (pending university admission).
- A public exhibition at Webster University's Hunt Gallery will showcase your artwork professionally.
- You will produce high quality artwork suitable for inclusion in your portfolio.
- Tuition is $600, payable via monthly payments if desired.
- All art supplies, daily catered lunch, and transportation for field trip are included.
- A limited number of scholarships are available.
A limited number of scholarships are available to those who demonstrate a financial need as well as artistic merit. A portfolio review will be required for recipients.
Sign Up Today!
Email: Jennifer Hylton-Whited