US Census data from 2012 predicts that, by the middle of the 21st century, nearly 1 in 5 Americans will be over the age of 65, with 17.9 million over the age of 85.
This means that the next few decades will see a growing need for individuals with
training in the field of aging and the aged. And because gerontology is a relatively
new field, individuals entering the field today are pioneers in many ways; most gerontology
students go on to create their own positions or businesses within the field as career
opportunities continue to expand.
The gerontology degree program at Webster is an online program with curriculum designed for the field's growth and need for innovation. It provides a broad educational base in the field of aging and the aged, preparing students for a wide range of careers in a variety of sectors. The applied gerontology core courses, as well as the program electives, are concerned with maximizing the applied and theoretical bases necessary for a successful career in gerontology. The courses in this program draw upon a variety of disciplines such as the behavioral and social sciences, management, political science, and the natural sciences. This interdisciplinary perspective reflects the complexity of the environments within which individuals live and age. Given this complexity, our graduates often seek additional licensure and certification to specialize their work in a particular area based on the requirements of their employer and/or state of residency.
Points of Distinction
- Online students are taught under the same rigorous academic standards as Webster University's traditional classroom programs.
- Available to students, workshops featuring local and national gerontology experts draw professionals from a variety of fields and offer participants the opportunity to network and learn about specific elder-related issues.
Gerontology Academic Programs
To read about specific program requirements, learning outcomes and how to apply, click on a program from the following list:
- Master of Arts in Gerontology (MA)
- Graduate Certificate in Gerontology
- Graduate Certificate in Applied Gerontology Enhancement and Specialization (AGES)
- Apply Now
- Anthropology & Sociology
- Biological Sciences
- General Studies
- History, Politics, & International Relations
- The Institute for Human Rights & Humanitarian Studies
- International Languages & Cultures
- Legal Studies
- Nurse Anesthesia
- Professional Counseling
- Religious Studies
- English as a Second Language