United Chapters of Alpha Kappa Delta
International Sociology Honor Society
Iota Chapter of Missouri-Webster University
Anthropon Katamanthanein Diakonesein
"To investigate humanity for the purpose of service."
In 1920, University of Southern California sociologist, Dr. Emory S. Bogardus, founded Alpha Kappa Delta for the purposes of stimulating scholarship and promoting the scientific study of society. Bogardus' impetus in establishing this organization was to provide a forum for student and faculty interchange. His endeavor paved the way for what has become an international organization dedicated to promoting, facilitating, and recognizing academic scholarship. As we enter the 21st century, Alpha Kappa Delta is an integral part of many Sociology programs and is proud to acknowledge that in the past eight decades, over 80,000 scholars have been initiated into the Society. More than 490 chapters have been chartered in the United States, Canada, China, Finland, the Philippines, Taiwan, and Singapore.
Eligibility for membership is determined by the respective Chapter according to criteria that meet or exceed the following minimum requirements:
- Must be an officially declared sociology major or demonstrate a serious interest in sociology within an official program of the host institution.
- Must be at least a junior (third year) by standards of the host institution.
- Must have accumulated the equivalent of an overall 3.25 GPA (by a four point scale where: A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0) and rank in the top 35% of their class in general scholarship.
- Must have maintained the equivalent of a 3.5 GPA in sociology courses taken at the host institution prior to initiation.
- Must have completed at least four regular courses in sociology prior to initiation (exclusive of extension or courses graded pass/fail).
The status of Life Member is conferred upon those persons who have been approved for membership by a Chartered Chapter of this society and who have paid the initiation fee for membership.
These criteria are subject to change. Each semester, the current criteria will be made available on the application form. If you are accepted into Alpha Kappa Delta there is a $40.00 lifetime membership fee. Initiation ceremonies occur at the end of each semester.
The status of Voting member is conferred upon those Life Members who maintain a current subscription to Sociological Inquiry, official journal of the United Chapters of Alpha Kappa Delta.