MA in Counseling
The student learning outcomes for the MA in counseling support the development of students as competent counselors in training. Our professional graduate degree program is divided into the following areas of emphasis with unique course requirements for each:
- The Clinical Mental Health Counseling emphasis is a 60 credit hour degree program and is the primary emphasis pursued by
our counseling students. The curriculum is for persons wanting to practice all types
- The Marriage, Family, and Child Counseling emphasis is a 60 credit hour degree program and provides instruction in core counseling
with additional coursework in working with couples, families, and children. This emphasis
is for persons wishing to work primarily with families. It is a specialty form of
counseling and typically requires a longer path toward licensure and works with a
- The Community Counseling emphasis is a 48 credit hour degree program that provides a general counseling curriculum.
It is for persons desiring to work in community settings. Not offered at the Webster
- The Family Life Counseling emphasis is a 45 credit hour specialty degree program created for our US Army chaplains. It is offered only at our Fort Bragg campus.
Points of Distinction
- The Webster University, Webster Groves campus is currently in the process of applying for counseling specialty accreditation.
- Classes are limited to a maximum of 20 students to create an ideal environment for learning, interaction, and discovery.
- Faculty are practicing clinicians immersed in the field’s latest research and practices.
- Diverse faculty are specially-equipped to instruct students in issues specific to multicultural counseling.
- Students complete a clinical counseling field experience, gaining necessary hands-on training.
- The Professional Counseling program at Webster is offered at 21 campuses nationwide, as well as internationally in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Webster University has prepared students for successful careers in the counseling profession for more than thirty years.
- With more than 9,000 counseling alumni, Webster’s counseling program has distinguished itself as a leader in mental health education.
For more emphasis information and program requirements, visit the graduate catalog.