Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Walker EDGE Program?
The Walker EDGE Program provides Webster University Walker School of Business & Technology students opportunities for professional development. These opportunities include: local and global internships, global hybrid courses, mentorship, personal brand development and resume review.
Why should I complete an internship?
Based on feedback from employers, it is essential for students to have relevant, professional experience when applying for their first jobs. Completing an internship provides students a competitive edge in the job market as well as valuable professional contacts.
What activities are required of me to apply for a local internship?
Walker EDGE Program participants are required to:
- Complete a series of Professional Development Online Modules: Resume, Personal Branding and Interview Skills
- Submit personal resume for a review and revision process
- Participate in mock interviews
Students gain exclusive access to apply for internship opportunities after successfully completing the above program requirements and activities.
What are the benefits of doing an internship through the Walker EDGE Program?
Students who participate in the Walker EDGE Program receive the following benefits:
- Valuable professional experience, essential in today's job market
- Better understanding of corporate and business culture
- Opportunity to build professional skills and industry knowledge
- Opportunity to build professional contacts
- A competitive EDGE in future career endeavors
What internships will be available to apply for?
The Walker EDGE Program partners with different companies in the St. Louis area to provide a wide range of internship opportunities for students. Global internships are also available in countries/areas such as The Netherlands, The United Kingdom, Austria, Germany and Mexico. Walker EDGE staff work with students to identify internship opportunities that are a good fit based on skills and interests. Students are also encouraged to explore internship opportunities available from multiple sources.
Will I be required to find and apply for my own internship?
Yes. The Walker EDGE is not an internship placement service. Participation in the Walker EDGE Program will provide exclusive access to internship opportunities, however, students are still expected to complete the internship search and application process. This provides students with invaluable experience for a job search upon graduation. Walker EDGE staff are available to support you throughout the process.
I'm not a Walker School of Business & Technology student. Am I still eligible to apply?
- Only students currently enrolled in a Walker School program in St. Louis are eligible to participate in the Walker EDGE to gain access to apply for local internship opportunities.
- All Webster students and Webster/WINS affiliate students are eligible to participate to gain access to apply for global internships.
- All Webster students are required to complete the professional development modules in order to gain access to internship opportunities.
Will I receive academic credit for my internship?
You may apply to receive academic credit for your internship but it must be approved by the faculty internship coordinator for your department well in advance. For more information regarding an internship for academic credit including instructions on how to apply, please contact your designated faculty member or visit the Internship for Credit page.
- Department of Business
- Department of Management
- Department of Math & Computer Science
I attend classes at one of the other St. Louis area campuses besides Webster Groves. Am I still eligible to participate?
Yes, students at any Webster St. Louis campus are eligible to participate.
What are the requirements to participate in the Walker EDGE Program?
To qualify for the Walker EDGE Program, students must meet the following criteria:
- Undergraduate level pursuing a major within the Walker School of Business & Technology
- Webster undergraduate and graduate students interested in pursuing a global internship.
Completion of the Walker EDGE professional development modules are required along
with additional application components.