Global Student Leadership Summit
Welcome to the Home of the 2017 Global Student Leadership Summit (GSLS)
The Summit will be held June 7–10, 2017, at the Webster Vienna campus in Vienna, Austria.
For selected participants, the University will arrange for and cover the costs of
airfare from your home campus, lodging, meals, and program fees. The first Global
Student Leadership Summit was held in St. Louis in March 2015.
We're looking for a phenomenal group of approximately 30 student leaders from throughout the worldwide network to participate in this world-class leadership development experience. Our goal is to have a diverse cohort of students with strong leadership potential and the ability to work collaboratively across difference.
The Summit will provide a unique opportunity for Webster University student leaders to gain knowledge and skills, and create positive change in a global environment. By developing relationships with peers from throughout Webster’s global network, participants will gain a better understanding of the impact student involvement has on students and Webster University worldwide.
The Summit will include interactive sessions focused on leadership development, communication, intercultural competency, and social responsibility, plus an excursion in Vienna, and outstanding networking with your fellow students from throughout the Webster global network. Students will work in small groups with an assigned mentor to help achieve the learning outcomes. To prepare for the Summit, all participants will complete an online non-credit course from March-May 2017.
As a result of attending the 2017 Summit, student leaders will return to their home campus prepared to work collaboratively with their fellow students to increase the level of leadership involvement and enhance connections between students throughout the Webster global network. The Summit is a transformational experience that will further develop each student’s sense of mission and purpose.
Submit your application by January 20, 2017, in order to receive full consideration. To apply, go to:
By participating in the 2017 Global Student Leadership Summit, students will achieve
the following learning outcomes, categorized into these four themes:
Individual and Campus Leadership
- Identify individual leadership style and personal role in group dynamics
- Identify methods to create positive change in a global environment
- Describe your role in identifying and engaging future student leaders on your home campus
- Create an action plan to implement change in a critical area of student involvement on your home campus
- Practice effective verbal and nonverbal communication using a global lens
- Prepare and deliver a group presentation
- Demonstrate strong skills in listening with an open mind and seeking first to understand, rather than trying to convince others of your viewpoints
- Demonstrate understanding of and commitment to Webster’s core values, with a focus on global citizenship, inclusion, and diversity
- Demonstrate ability to interact effectively across cultures by showing sensitivity and respect for personal and cultural differences
- Apply a pluralistic lens in leadership and community development
Social Responsibility and the Common Good
- Identify opportunities for strategic collaboration within Webster’s global network by developing meaningful peer relationships
- Demonstrate understanding of the impact student involvement has on students and Webster University
- Formulate a practical framework for ethical leadership
- Recognize your role in social responsibility, sustainability, and leadership for the common good worldwide
2015 Global Student Leadership Summit
Learn more about the Summit experience from 2015 participants:
From March 10-13, 2015, 30 student leaders from throughout the worldwide network gathered on the home campus in St. Louis, MO to discuss leadership and advocacy in this signature event of the University's Centennial Celebration.
The 2015 Summit provided a unique opportunity for Webster University student leaders
to gain knowledge and skills, and create positive change in a global environment.
By developing relationships with peers from throughout Webster’s global network, participants
gained a better understanding of the impact student involvement has on students and
Webster University worldwide.
Some reactions from the students who participated in the 2015 Global Student Leadership Summit
“Amazing things can happen when you bring talented people together.”
“I learned how to work with others to achieve one common goal.”
“Helped me make meaningful connections around the globe.”
Comments from Past Student Participants
“The GSLS motivated me and sharpened my leadership skills which gave me more courage and confidence to address a large group. In addition, it gave me a sense of belonging and understanding on what it means to be a global student of Webster.” - Marjorie Peters-Beltman, Leiden
“"GSLS was essentially a hands-on crash course in effective leading and teamwork. We spent almost every waking hour with our group, putting time and effort in listening to each other, debating points about our initiatives, and most importantly, figuring out what each of our strengths and weaknesses were. Not only was it an introspective exercise, it also showed me how great it is when everyone in a group feels like they're contributing their best to a project.” - Joy Corthesy, Geneva
"The GSLS Summit in St. Louis was the spark which really kicked off the SGA’s activities here in Vienna. Motivated by the Webster environment in St. Louis, the four Vienna participants got together even before heading back and developed a strategy on how to engage more with students and serve their interests better. SGA in Vienna has grown by over 30% in participation and we’ve nearly doubled our events per semester."- Dennis Heumann, Vienna
- Summit Home
- Summit Schedule
- Planning Committee
- Selected Participants
- Summit Online Course Syllabus
- Campus Life
- Office of Student Engagement
- Housing at the Home Campus
- Campus Dining
- Dean of Students Office
- Health & Wellness
- State & Nat'l Voting
- Dean of Students Service Award
- Dean's Service Award Nomination Form
- Global Student Leadership Summit
- Student Life Hall of Fame
- First-Generation Students
- Bias Reporting