Meal Plan Options | Webster University

Meal Plan Options

Meal Plans for 2017–18

Blue and Gold Meal Plan

For 2017–18, only one meal plan is offered.

Cost = $2500 per semester. Students get $1700 in points to spend at any Dining Services location on campus. ($800 goes to University overhead).

This meal plan operates on an “all points” or “declining balance” basis. This offers students the ultimate in flexibility and spending options at our Campus Dining Services locations. This plan allows students to get whatever they want at any time when Dining Services is open. This is an a la carte’ plan, and any past restrictions such as meal exchanges or meal combos, have been eliminated.

Students can dine at Marletto’s, the Crossroads food court in the University Center, the Library Café featuring Kaldi’s, or the Simply-to-Go unit in the East Academic Building. There will no longer be an “all-you-care-to-eat” dining option at Marletto’s. Everything will be priced a la carte’ and you will only pay for what you get.

Points not used during the fall semester carry over to the spring semester. Points not used by the end of the academic year are forfeited.

Points on this meal plan cannot be used at off-campus restaurants.

Buy-Up Option – After a full meal plan is purchased, if you would like to add more points to your meal plan, you can get a 2-for-1 buy-up option. For every $100 in additional points purchased, you will get 200 points. This Buy-Up Option can be purchased at the Campus Dining Services offices in Maria Hall.

All students living in the residence halls and all first year students living on campus must purchase a meal plan for the entire year they reside on campus.

New Commuter Meal Plan Launches in Fall 2017

Beginning with the Fall 2017 semester, all flat-fee undergraduate students who do not have a Blue and Gold residential meal plan will be provided with a 100 dollar meal plan each semester. This new Commuter Meal Plan (primarily for flat fee undergraduates who are commuters or living in campus  managed apartments) is the result of the University’s contract extension with Sodexo. This agreement has also paved the way for the renovation of dining facilities this summer. 

This meal plan will be automatically loaded onto each flat-fee undergraduate commuter student’s ID card at the beginning of the semester and will allow students to purchase food, tax-free, at any of the Sodexo facilities on campus such as Marletto’s Marketplace in Maria Hall, Crossroads Food Court in the University Center, the Cyber Café in Emerson Library and Simply to Go in the East Academic Building. Funds cannot be used at vending machines or the Webster University Bookstore.

“While we certainly hope that this encourages students to stay on campus and socialize with faculty, staff and other students, there are more important benefits to this plan,” said Ted Hoef, Dean of Students at Webster University. “A plan like this can help us address food insecurity with our student population. By automatically getting money they can use for food each semester, we help all of our students get some of what they need to stay healthy and focused on their education.”

Students will be able to check the balance on their meal plan by viewing their receipt or asking a cashier. Any amounts unused in the Fall semester will rollover to Spring semester. Any unused portions at the end of the academic year will be forfeited. Once the 100-dollar Commuter Meal Plan money is spent for the semester, students have the option to transition to the Gorlok Bucks food purchase plan or they are able to pay out-of-pocket at any of the on-campus dining locations.

Students are encouraged to read over the Commuter Meal Plan Information Page or contact Campus Dining Services at 314-246-6902.  

Commuter Meal Plan – Frequently Asked Questions

How do I sign up for a Commuter Meal Plan?
All flat-fee undergraduate students not on a Blue and Gold residential meal plan at the Webster Groves campus are getting this $100 per-semester Commuter Meal Plan automatically on their student ID card. There is no additional fee for this meal plan. This will apply to flat-fee undergraduates who are commuters, or who reside in the campus apartments. 

What are the benefits to using this plan?
Students will only need their student ID to make purchases and all purchases made through the Commuter Meal Plan are tax-free.

Where can I use the Commuter Meal Plan money?
The funds can be used at any of the Campus Dining Services dining establishments on campus. This includes: Marletto’s Marketplace in Maria Hall, Crossroads Food Court in the University Center, the Cyber Café in Emerson Library and Simply to Go in the East Academic Building. The funds cannot be used in the bookstore or at any of the vending machines.  

I don’t want to pay for this, how can I opt out?
This plan does not have any additional fees, all flat-fee undergraduates not on a Blue and Gold residential meal plan receive the plan and there is no opt-out option. This will apply to flat-fee undergraduates who are commuters, or who reside in the campus apartments. 

I never eat on campus, can I give my card to someone else for them to use?
Since the funds are added to your student ID card, you are not able to allow others to use the card in your place. However, you are welcome to accompany a friend to any of the dining locations and purchase food for them. Also, all of the dining establishments on campus offer food to go so you are welcome to take your meals with you if you are not able to eat on campus. 

I’m studying at another campus this fall, what happens to my money?
Any funds that are unused at the end of the Fall semester will rollover to the Spring semester. 

I have money left over at the end of the spring semester, how do I get a refund?
Any amount left over at the end of spring semester will be forfeited. 

How do I know how much money I have left on my account?
The remaining balance will be printed on the receipt at each dining location. Students can also ask the cashier for their balance if they do not opt for a receipt.  Students are also able to contact the Dining Services office at 314-246-6902 for balance information. 

I think there’s an error with my balance, who do I contact?
If a student believes their balance is incorrect or if they have any issues using the funds, they can contact the Dining Services office at 314-246-6902. 

I want to add more money to my Commuter Meal Plan, how do I do this?
Students are not able to add additional funds to the Commuter Meal Plan; however, they are able to start a Gorlok Bucks account. This account also works on your student ID card but allows you to add funds online. Purchases made on the Gorlok Bucks plan receive a 10% discount and are also tax-free. Gorlok Bucks can be used at selected off-campus dining establishments. For more information on Gorlok Bucks, click here. 

I have always used Gorlok Bucks, how does that system work with this one?
When using on-campus dining, the cashiers will deduct from your Commuter Meal Plan first since those funds expire at the end of the academic year. Once you have used all of your Commuter Meal Plan funds, you will be able to tap into the funds in your Gorlok Bucks account. Since the Commuter Meal Plan does not work for off-campus restaurants, any purchases made at those participating locations will utilize the Gorlok Bucks funds rather than the Commuter Meal Plan funds. 

What happens if I lose my student ID card?
Call Public Safety at 314-246-7430 to report your card missing, and obtain a replacement card.

Gorlok Bucks

Gorlok Bucks require a separate contract and are not part of the meal plan. Gorlok Bucks may be used at selected off-campus restaurants to offer more variety and longer hours of service to campus residents. Gorlok Bucks can also be used at on-campus locations. If used on-campus, the purchase will be tax free and discounted for items purchased. All balances remaining on Gorlok Bucks will be forfeited after 18 months of inactivity. Students may purchase Gorlok Bucks by completing the contract, which is an online form on the PatronWeb through Housing and Residential Life. Go to this web site: Use your Webster University Connections username and password to log in. You will then click on the appropriate form.

Faculty and staff who wish to purchase Gorlok Bucks, should contact the Dining Office and sign up by credit card at For a list of participating locations, please click here.