Student Identification | Webster University

Student Identification

WU ID Card

Webster University Student ID Program

The Webster University ID Card is the official identification card for the students, faculty and staff of Webster University. It offers a convenient, easy and safe way to utilize campus services and the option to make purchase with meal plans, Gorlok Bucks or when connected to a U.S. Bank checking account.

On Campus

  • Purchase items using Meal Plans or Gorlok Bucks
  • Webster University Library privileges
  • Fitness Center and Swimming Pool access in the University Center
  • Residence Halls access for campus residents
  • Media Labs and Classroom access as needed per enrollment

Off Campus

How do I get a Webster ID Card?

  • Students, faculty, staff – provide a government issued photo ID and proof of employment or enrollment to the Public Safety Office.  ID card production is offered Monday through Saturday from 8am-10pm.
  • All St. Louis campus students are required to get an updated sticker each semester to show current enrollment. Stickers are given at the Public Safety Office, the University Center Information Desk or the Downtown, Westport or Winghaven campuses.
  • Extended Site Students – available only at participating sites; contact on-site campus representative for availability.
  • Online Students – to request a card visit the Online Student Commons within your WorldClassRoom site. Complete the “Student ID” assignment to request your ID.

How do I add a Meal Plan to my Webster ID Card?

  • Meal plans are available to students living both on and off-campus. For more information visit Campus Dining or contact Elissa Marsh for further information.

How do I add Gorlok Bucks to my Webster ID Card?

  • Complete the application for Gorlok Bucks and submit to the Campus Dining Office in Maria Hall.

Replacing and Reporting Lost or Stolen Cards

  • Webster ID Card replacements are available at Public Safety on Monday-Saturday from 8 am–10 pm. The cost for replacement is $15.00 per card.  Students can pay for replacements by charging them to their student account.  Faculty and Staff can pay for replacements using a credit card.
    • The replacement fee is waived in case of legal name change, status change (i.e. student to staff, Undergraduate to Graduate) or if a student has left and returned to the University after more than 1 year of unenrollment.
    • Students, Faculty or Staff who would like to get an updated ID card with the U.S. Bank option may replace their card at no charge when they return their original ID card to Public Safety – all other cards will be charged the $15.00 replacement fee.
    • U.S. Bank customers should also call 24-hour customer service to report a lost or stolen ID card at 1-800-US BANKS (872-2657) or visit

    • For additional information please visit: