Although many positions are filled through a referral, in most cases you'll still need to go through the application process. Often, employers use online applicant tracking systems that are individualized for each company, making you have to pay close attention every time you submit an application. Here are some tips for navigating the application process.
- Read the job description to make sure you meet the requirements – apply if you meet at least 70% of the requirements
- Research the employer – know why you want to work there and how you can contribute to the organization
- Customize your resume and cover letter to address the skills requested in the job description and to explain your interest in the company
- Add key words to your application materials – both recruiters and applicant tracking systems scan for language included in the job description
- Read and follow all of the application instructions – even the best candidates can be overlooked if they don't follow guidelines
- Complete all fields of online applications to the best of your ability
- Triple check that your resume, cover letter, and online application are free of errors before submitting
- Follow up one to two weeks after submitting your application – make sure your materials were received and ask about the hiring timeline
- Keep a record of your applications, job descriptions, and interactions with recruiters so that you can track when you applied and when you need to follow up
Career Planning & Development Center
568 Garden Ave.
St. Louis, MO 63119
Monday - Thursday: 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Fall II 2014 Walk-In Hours
Available during the following times when classes are in session:
Monday: 2:00 - 4:00 p.m.
Tuesday & Wednesday: 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Thursday: 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Learn about topics you can discuss during your 10-15 minute meeting with a Student Career Advisor.
We're currently conducting our follow-up survey for Webster graduates.