Professional Engagement Opportunities for Students
Fall 2016 Professional Association Membership Program
THE APPLICATION PERIOD FOR FALL 2016 IS CLOSED. SPRING 2017 APPLICATION INFORMATION WILL BE AVAILABLE ON JANUARY 16, 2017.
Becoming a contributing student member of a professional association is one of the most beneficial ways to engage with the community of your chosen industry. The Career Planning & Development Center (CPDC) will sponsor membership fees for a limited number of current students.**Available funds vary by academic year. The number of students selected depends on available budget. Limit of $125 per eligible applicant.
To be eligible, you must be:
- Enrolled full-time at Webster University during the Fall 2016 semester
- Pursuing your bachelor’s degree
- Maintaining a minimum GPA of 2.5
- Requesting a student membership – professional memberships are not eligible
- Applying for a membership (first time member or renewal) that you have not yet paid – reimbursement is not possible
- Complete all of the application components and submit the online application form by 11:59 p.m. on September 30, 2016.
- Applications will be reviewed by a committee of CPDC staff members and considered based on: timeliness – the earliest applications will receive priority consideration; thoroughness and quality of application materials; and relevance of the association to your academic major and career goals.
- You will be notified by email on October 17, 2016 if you will be receiving sponsored membership fees. This email will provide logistics for moving forward with the membership purchase.
- If you will not be receiving sponsored membership fees, you will also be notified by email on October 17, 2016.
Webster University’s academic departments offer unique professional opportunities for students to participate in. Check out your department’s webpage to see what opportunities they offer for students in your major.
The Walker Edge School of Business and Technology hosts the Walker EDGE program. Walker EDGE gives students opportunities to develop their skills through professional development courses and events as well as mentoring programs. The program also has internship opportunities
Clubs and Organizations
Clubs and organizations are a great way to begin connecting to professional opportunities. Many attend competitions or host guest speakers. You also have the opportunity to connect to people with similar interests as well as develop your skills. Check out Involved@Webster to find clubs and organizations that interest you and can help you develop as a professional.
Student Publications and Media
Student publications on campus allow students to publish their work. Publications include The Journal, The Green Fuse, The Ampersand, and The Webster Mercury. Also check out Galaxy Radio and Idea Tree Media for other practical applications of your skills.
Webster University hosts a variety of conferences, such as the Sustainability Conference, Undergraduate Philosophy Conference, and Human Rights Conference. These conferences enable you to hear talks about and connect to professionals in your field of interest.
Research Across Disciplines
Research Across Disciplines (RAD) is an research conference where undergraduate and graduate students showcase their research. It is an opportunity to present work in your area as study as well as to connect to professionals in your field.
Provost's Student/Faculty Collaborative Research Grant Program
The Provost’s Student/Faculty Collaborate Research Program provides assistants to students working in collaborative research projects with faculty. These projects offer students the opportunity to gain valuable experience as they work toward their future careers.
Student Grant Fund
The Student Grant Fund is available to students attending off-campus conferences and other professional opportunities. Your growth as a professional does not have to be limited to events on the Webster campus..
Career Planning & Development Center
568 Garden Avenue | St. Louis, MO 63119
314-968-6982 (Toll Free: 800-981-9805)
Monday - Thursday: 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Friday: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
The CPDC will be closed on the following dates in accordance with Webster's Closings & Holidays.
December 24, 2016 – January 2, 2017
January 16, 2017
Fall 2016 Walk-In Hours
Walk-In Hours are available when undergraduate classes are in session.
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays:
2:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Learn about topics you can discuss during your 10-15 minute meeting.