Teaching English as a Foreign Language
2014-2015 GRADUATE STUDIES CATALOG
Effective 1 June 2014 through 31 May 2015
Please see the Graduate Catalog Archives for PDF versions of past catalogs.
This program offered by School of Education
(21 credit hours)
All students pursuing the Missouri ESOL Certification or the Webster TEFL Certificate will be considered degree-seeking students and will have the option to pursue one of the MA TESL tracks within 5 years from the start of their TESL coursework
- TESL 5230 Second Language Acquisition (3 hours)
- TESL 5139 English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) Methods (3 hours)
- TESL 5220 Curriculum Development in Second Language Classrooms (3 hours)
- TESL 5350 Language and Culture (3 hours)
- COMM 5750 Special Institute: Grammar for ESL/EFL Teachers
or COMM 5750 Special Institute: Teaching English Pronunciation (3 hours)
- TESL 5040 Practicum in ESOL (taken at the end of the program) (3 hours)
Electives (3 credit hours):
- TESL 5311 Principles and Practices of Language Testing (3 hours)
- TESL 5030 Language History, Planning, and Policy (3 hours)
- COMM 5750 Special Institute: Grammar for ESL/EFL Teachers (3 hours)
- COMM 5750 Special Institute: Teaching English Pronunciation (3 hours)
- COMM 5340 Teaching Language and Language Issues (3 hours)
- COMM 5344 Introduction to Linguistics (3 hours)
- COMM 5199 Teaching Writing (3 hours)
Students who are interested in applying to this certificate program should see the Admission Section of this catalog for general requirements.
- Receipt of official transcripts from the baccalaureate-granting institution.
- Undergraduate cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher.
Send all required admission materials to
Office of Admission
470 East Lockwood Ave.
St. Louis, MO 63119