Science Management and Leadership (MS)
2014-2015 GRADUATE STUDIES CATALOG
Effective 1 June 2014 through 31 May 2015
Please see the Graduate Catalog Archives for PDF versions of past catalogs.
This program offered by College of Arts & Sciences
The master of science (MS) in science management and leadership is designed for professional scientists and engineers who are advancing in their careers in management and leadership roles. The program aims to provide these professionals with competencies in project management, leadership, regulatory and quality affairs, intellectual property, business law, finance, marketing, communications, and ethics.
The program will provide a mentoring system and networking experiences. The program requires 36 credits with a core of 27 credits and an additional 9 elective credits.
Upon completion of the program, students should:
- Compose and present written and verbal information clearly and effectively to a variety of audiences.
- Formulate the role of ethical standards in business and leadership.
- Demonstrate the ability to work on teams, resolve conflict, and lead to achieve common goals.
- Formulate the role of marketing, finance, and budgeting in the process of product development for science-based business operations.
- Formulate the role of business law and intellectual property in science-based business operations.
- Construct and evaluate project plans in accordance with regulatory and quality affairs standards for science-based business operations.
- Construct and evaluate project plans in accordance with the Project Management Institute’s project management content GAC accreditation standard C.1.2.
The 36 credit hours required for the MS degree must include the following courses for a major in Science Management and Leadership.
- SCML 5050 Communication for Professional Science Management and Leadership (3 hours)
- MNGT 5590 Organizational Behavior (3 hours)
- SCML 5590 Ethics and Social Responsibility in Science Management and Leadership (3 hours)
- PATA 5120 Foundations in Intellectual Property Law (3 hours)
- SCML 5700 Marketing and Comparative Analysis for Science Management and Leadership (3 hours)
- BUSN 5200 Basic Finance for Managers (3 hours)
- SCML 5800 Project Management (3 hours)
- SCML 5850 Regulatory and Qualitative Affairs for Science Management and Leadership (3 hours)
- SCML 6000 Practical Application in Science Management and Leadership (3 hours)
- BUSN 5630 Business Law (3 hours)
- INTB 5000 International Business (3 hours)
- PROC 5840 Negotiations (3 hours)
- PATA 5530 Ownership, Licensing, and Transfer of Intellectual Property (3 hours)
- HRMG 5690 Workforce Retention and Transitions: Theory and Practice (3 hours)
Students who are interested in applying to this degree program should also see the Admission Section of this catalog for general requirements.
Send all required documents to the following address:
Office of Admission
470 East Lockwood Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63119