2014-2015 UNDERGRADUATE STUDIES CATALOG
Effective 1 June 2014 through 31 May 2015
Please see the Undergraduate Catalog Archives for PDF version of past catalogs.
36 credit hours
This program offered by School of Communications/Electronic and Photographic Media Department
Geneva and St. Louis campuses only
The certificate in photojournalism/editorial photography is designed to provide students with a solid understanding of theory and practice in the area of photojournalism and editorial photography. Students will develop a basic understanding of photographic history and technique in both chemical and digital environments. Upper level courses will focus on the specialized knowledge needed to work in the field of shooting for publication. The program is characterized by a hands-on approach and will culminate with a professional internship in the field. This certificate is only being offered in Geneva and Saint Louis.
Students must earn a grade of C or better in all courses applied toward the certificates.
For information on general requirements for the certificate, see Certificate Program Policies and Procedures.
Successful graduates of this program will be able to:
- demonstrate the theoretical and practical aspects of traditional and digital photography;
- demonstrate professional work standards in the field of photojournalism and editorial photography in various media environments.
36 credit hours
- PHOT 0100 Photography Portfolio Review (0 hours)
- EPMD 1000 Introduction to Media Production (3 hours)
- MEDC 1050 Introduction to Media Writing (3 hours)
- PHOT 1000 Photo I (3 hours)
- PHOT 2000 Photo II (3 hours)
- PHOT 2040 History of Photography (3 hours)
- PHOT 2500 Photojournalism (3 hours)
- PHOT 3000 Color Photography (3 hours)
- PHOT 3190 Digital Photographic Imaging (3 hours)
- PHOT 3760 Topics in Editorial Photography (3 hours)
- PHOT 4870 Advanced Photojournalism (3 hours)
- MEDC 4950 Internship (3 hours)
In addition, students must complete a minimum of 3 credit hours from among the following:
- PHOT 3195 Digital Photographic Imaging II (3 hours)
- PHOT 3760 Topics in Editorial Photography (in a different topic) (3 hours)
- PHOT 4000 Photo Workshop: Photography in Tuscany (3 hours)
- PHOT 4190 Topics in Digital Imaging (3 hours)
- PHOT 4200 Topics in Color (3 hours)