Practical and Interdisciplinary Ethics
2014-2015 UNDERGRADUATE STUDIES CATALOG
Effective 1 June 2014?31 May 2015
Please see the Undergraduate Catalog Archives for PDF version of past catalogs.
18 credit hours
This program offered by College of Arts & Sciences/Philosophy Department
The undergraduate certificate in practical and interdisciplinary ethics provides students the opportunity to identify a concentration in the study of ethics. The program allows students to analyze the moral issues that arise in various disciplines, fields, and professions, and sharpens their analytical skills by providing them with a solid foundation in ethical theory. The certificate program is open to any Webster University student, as well as to individuals not currently enrolled who meet the general requirements for admission to the University.
The certificate program is administered by the Director of the Center for Ethics and requires a 3-credit-hour core course, plus 15 credit hours chosen from the courses listed. A maximum of 12 credit hours may be taken within a departmental prefix.
Students are also encouraged to engage in some appropriate practical experience. Up to 3 credit hours earned in this manner may be substituted for coursework; the Director must approve substituted credit hours. Students will register their work either through the Individualized Learning Experiences program (INDZ) or PHIL 4400 (Practicum in Philosophy).
For information on general requirements for the certificate, see Certificate Program Policies and Procedures.
Completion of the core course (3 credit hours)
- PHIL 2320 Contemporary Moral Problems (3 hours)
Completion of two courses from the following group (6 credit hours)
At least one of these must be at the 3000 level
- PHIL 2110 Introduction to Ethics (3 hours)
- POLT 1070/PHIL 2300 Intro to Political Theory/Social and Political Philosophy (3 hours)
- PHIL 3350 Philosophical Ethics (3 hours)
- POLT/PHIL 3590 Theories of Human Rights (3 hours)
Completion of 9 credit hours from the following group
- ETHC 1000 Issues and Problems in Ethics (1 hour)
- ETHC 2000 Intermediate Issues (3 hours)
- ETHC 3000 Advanced Issues (3 hours)
- HRTS 1100 Introduction to Human Rights (3 hours)
- MEDC 2200 Ethics in the Media (3 hours)
- PHIL 2340 Ethics, Health Care, and Technology (3 hours)
- PHIL 2360 Environmental Ethics (3 hours)
- PHIL 2390 Philosophy of Sex and Love (3 hours)
- PHIL 3360 Ethics for Cyberspace (3 hours)
- PHIL 3380 Ethics in Social Research (3 hours)
- BUSN 4300 Business Ethics (3 hours)
- NURS 4350 Ethical Dilemmas in Nursing Practice (2-3 hours)
- MNGT 5910 Ethical and Legal Issues in Management (3 hours)
- LEGL 3000 Legal Ethics (3 hours)