Philosophy with an Emphasis in Ethics and Society (BA)
2014-2015 UNDERGRADUATE STUDIES CATALOG
Effective 1 June 2014?31 May 2015
Please see the Undergraduate Catalog Archives for PDF version of past catalogs.
This program offered by College of Arts & Sciences/Philosophy Department
With an ethics and society emphasis students have the opportunity to concentrate their studies in ethical, social, and political philosophy and to apply theory to issues and problems arising in public life.
Upon completion of the program, students should:
- Demonstrate knowledge of significant ethical theories, problems, and thinkers.
- Analyze ethical issues and problems that arise in several disciplines, professions, and in public life.
- Synthesize ethical theories with practical situations requiring decision making and solutions.
- Evaluate, develop, and defend positions and anticipate objections and alternatives.
A minimum of 128 credit hours consisting of the following:
- 36 required credit hours
- 3 international language credit hours
- Applicable university global citizenship or general education program hours
Students will complete 36 credit hours as specified below with a grade of C or better.
- HRTS 1100 Introduction to Human Rights(3 hours)
- PHIL 2300 Social and Political Philosophy(3 hours)
- PHIL 2320 Contemporary Moral Problems(3 hours)
- PHIL 2510 Philosophic Classics: Ancient Greece and Rome(3 hours)
- PHIL 2520 Philosophic Classics: Early Modern Europe(3 hours)
- PHIL 3350 Philosophical Ethics(3 hours)
- PHIL 4600 Overview(3 hours)
Nine credit hours from the following:
- PHIL 3080 Current Topics in Philosophy (If appropriate content) (3 hours)
- PHIL 3110 Philosophy and Film: Human Rights(3 hours)
- PHIL 3360 Ethics for Cyberspace(3 hours)
- PHIL 3370 Feminist Philosophy(3 hours)
- PHIL 3380 Ethics in Social Research (3 hours)
- PHIL 3590 Theories of Human Rights(3 hours)
- PHIL 4400 Practicum in Philosophy(1-3 hours)
Six credit hours from the following:
- PHIL 2050 Philosophy and History of Education(3 hours)
- PHIL 2340 Bioethics(3 hours)
- PHIL 2360 Environmental Ethics(3 hours)
- PHIL 2390 Philosophy of Sex and Love(3 hours)
Back to top