2014-2015 UNDERGRADUATE STUDIES CATALOG
Effective 1 June 2014 through 31 May 2015
Please see the Undergraduate Catalog Archives for PDF version of past catalogs.
29 credit hours
This program offered by Leigh Gerdine College of Fine Arts/Department of Dance
Webster University's Leigh Gerdine College of Fine Arts' Department of Dance provides excellence in training through both the BA and BFA degrees. The Department explores a broad spectrum of concert dance forms - from the inherent traditionalism of classical ballet, to the risk-taking avant-garde flavor of modern dance, to the wonderful theatricality of jazz and tap.
- Choreography: Create and produce imaginative, original, thought provoking choreographic work
- Integrate and successfully utilize knowledge from courses in the breadth of the discipline.
- Function in a variety of contexts, creating global awareness; acquire an objective knowledge of self, an ability to research, be resourceful and flexible; also formulate interpersonal, technological, and collaborative skills.
- Courses completed with a grade of D do not count toward fulfilling the specific course requirements of the major.
- All courses for a minor must be completed at Webster University.
- Courses used to fulfill a major may not be used to fulfill a requirement for a minor.
- DANC 2520 Living Anatomy and Movement (3 hours)
- DANC 1220 Improvisation I (2 hours)
- DANC 1310,1320 Composition I (5 hours)
- DANC 2210 Dance History: Lineage Based to 20th Century (3 hours)
- DANC 3210 Dance History: 20th Century to Present (3 hours)
- Additional advanced-level work in technique, choreography, topics, independent study (DANC 2050, 2060, 2250, 3250, 3220, 3250, 3550, 3560, etc.) (2 hours)
- DANC 1550 Stagecraft for Dance I (1 hour)
- DANC 1560 Stagecraft for Dance II (1 hour)
- DANC 1040 International Dance (3 hours)
- DANCE 4400 Dance Pedagogy (3 hours)
- MUSC 1000 Fundamentals of Musicianship (3 hours)