DRAFT 2015-2016 UNDERGRADUATE STUDIES CATALOG
Becomes Effective 1 June 2015 through 31 May 2016
Please see the Undergraduate Catalog Archives for the current 2014-2015 Catalog
or for PDF version of past catalogs.
18 credit hours
This program offered by College of Arts & Sciences/English Department
- All courses for a minor must be completed at Webster University.
- Courses completed with a grade below C- do not count toward fulfilling the requirement for a minor.
- Courses used to fulfill a major may not be used to fulfill a requirement for a minor.
The minor in professional writing is designed for students who want to learn about - and prepare to meet - the writing and other communication challenges found in business, nonprofit, governmental, and community settings.
Students who pursue the minor can choose from courses in areas such as journalism, writing for public relations and advertising, screenplay and scriptwriting, creative writing, and business and technical writing, as well as editing, linguistics and rhetoric, and cross-cultural communication.
To complete a minor in professional writing, students must take 18 credit hours from the list below. Students should consult with the professional writing program advisor in order to tailor the program to their specific interests.
- ADVT 2910 Writing for Advertising (3 hours)
- ANTH 2300 Culture and Communication (3 hours)
- ENGL 2150 Creative Writing: Poetry (3 hours)
- ENGL 2160 Creative Writing: Fiction (3 hours)
- ENGL 2170 Creative Writing: Playwriting (3 hours)
- ENGL 2180 Creative Writing: Nonfiction (3 hours)
- ENGL 3450 Reading and Writing Autobiography (3 hours)
- ENGL 4200 Contemporary Linguistics (3 hours)
- JOUR 1030 Fundamentals of Reporting (3 hours)
- JOUR 2140 Advanced Reporting (3 hours)
- JOUR 2170 Copyreading/News Editing (3 hours)
- JOUR 3130 Feature Writing (3 hours)
- JOUR 3150 Topics in Modern Media (Film Criticism, Editorial Writing, Zines and the Art of Self Publishing, Entertainment Journalism, and others upon approval of English Dept.) (3 hours)
- JOUR 4170 Investigative Journalism (3 hours)
- JOUR 4380 Magazine Journalism (3 hours)
- MEDC 1050 Introduction to Media Writing (3 hours)
- SPCM 3600 Rhetoric (3 hours)
- PBRL 2920 Writing for Public Relations (3 hours)
- SCPT 2900 Scriptwriting (3 hours)
- SCPT 3500 Writing Screenplays for Film (3 hours)
- SCPT 4400 Television Scriptwriting (3 hours)
- SCPT 4500 Advanced Scriptwriting (3 hours)
- WRIT 2072 Writing for Change (3 hours)
- WRIT 2090 Writing in the Workplace (3 hours)
- WRIT 3000 Professional Writing Practicum (1-3 hours)
- WRIT 3100 Report and Proposal Writing (3 hours)
- WRIT 3200 Technical Writing (3 hours)
- WRIT 4000 Topics in Professional Writing (3 hours)