Advanced New Media Production
2016-2017 GRADUATE STUDIES CATALOG
Effective 1 June 2016 through 31 May 2017
Please see the Graduate Catalog Archives for PDF versions of past catalogs.
This program offered by School of Communications
The certificate in advanced new media production provides students with a mastery of techniques appropriate to achieve success in the varied multi-platform universe of today's modern workplace. This certificate is stackable with the certificate in the fundamentals of multimedia production. The certificate in the fundamentals of multimedia production must be completed before this program can be undertaken. Completion of both of these certificates would provide a student with two certificates that also equal the master of arts (MA) in new media production. The advanced new media production certificate provides students with the mastery of production basics in website construction, audio and video production and an integration of multimedia projects with social networking.
This program is offered at the St. Louis home campus.
- Students will demonstrate proficiency on multiple digital platforms and possess multiple digital skill sets as part of a modern production process and should be able to perform those skills in a professional environment.
- Students will develop proficiency in using various media platforms as part of the storytelling process.
- Students will demonstrate a mastery of storytelling techniques.
- Students will demonstrate knowledge of various approaches to employing multimedia storytelling to the social media environment.
Students must complete the certificate in the fundamentals of multimedia production before work may begin on this certificate program.
Students must complete 18 credit hours of course work, including all of the following courses:
- NPRO 5900 New Media Project Production (3 hours)
- NPRO 6000 New Media Thesis Project (6 hours)
- Electives (9 hours)
Students must take nine credit hours of elective courses as part of the overall requirement for 18 credit hours of course work. The nine hours of course work may come only from the following list of approved electives. No elective courses used in the completion of the certificate in the fundamentals of multimedia production may be used by students to complete this certificate program.
- MEDC 5600 Introduction to Interactive Communication (3 hours)
- FTVP 5330 Digital Graphics & Motion Graphics Production (3 hours)
- AUDI 5220 Podcast Production & Promotion (3 hours)
- FTVP 5310 Fundamentals of Video Cameras & Lighting (3 hours)
- PHOT 5060 Digital Images & Storytelling (3 hours)
- FTVP 5331 Video Editing & Webisode Creation (3 hours)
- INTM 5630 Digital Design & Information Graphic Production (3 hours)
- INTM 5640 Multimedia Production for Websites & Mobile Applications (3 hours)
- NPRO 5650 Special Topics in New Media Production (3 hours)
Students who are interested in applying to this certificate program should see the Admission Section of this catalog for general requirements.
Send all admission materials to:
Office of Admissions
470 E. Lockwood Ave.
St. Louis, MO 63119