Education for Global Sustainability
DRAFT 2016-2017 GRADUATE STUDIES CATALOG
This catalog becomes effective 1 June 2016 through 31 May 2017
Please see the Graduate Catalog Archives for a PDF version of the current 2015-16 Catalog,
as well as for PDF versions of past catalogs.
This program offered by School of Education
The University certificate in education for global sustainability aims to provide professionals with the knowledge, skills, and tools for transforming schools, organizations and communities toward global sustainability. To attain the certificate, students must complete 18 hours of coursework with a GPA of 3.0 or better and a B- or better in all courses. Choices for coursework in the program must be approved by the coordinator of EFGS and include the requirements below.
To receive this certificate, a student must have a recognized baccalaureate degree and meet all of the admission and acceptance criteria as outlined in the graduate program Academic Policies and Procedures. All certificate courses must be completed at Webster University.
This program is offered online and at the St. Louis home campus.
- EFGS 5000 Education for Global Sustainability (3 hours)
- EFGS 5900 Reflections and Next Steps(0 hours)
- Electives (15 hours)
(must include at least 1-environmental, 1-economic, and 1-social equity)
Environmental (choose one)
- ENMG 5000 Environmental Science (3 hours) (9 weeks)
- ENMG 5400 Sustainability Principles (3 hours) (9 weeks)
Economics (choose one)
- EFGS 5740 Economics: Choices and Challenges (3 hours)
- EDUC 4250 Economics and Geography for Global Sustainability (4 hours)
- ENGM 5400 Sustainability Principles (3 hours) (9 weeks)
Social equity (choose one)
- EDUC 5001 Foundations of Global Citizenship (3 hours)
- EFGS 5430 Sustainability Leadership: Transitions & Change (3 hours)
- EFGS 5240 Creating Sustainable Schools (3 hours)
- EDUC 5490 Seminars in Education (1-3 hours)
Other electives approved by Coordinator of EFGS:
- EFGS 5220 Teaching Sustainability through Literature (3 hours)
- EFGS 5250 Child as Naturalist (3 hours)
- EFGS 5260 Topics in Sustainability (1-3 hours)
- EFGS 5410 In-Service Workshop (1-3 hours)
Students who are interested in applying to this certificate program should see the Admission Section of this catalog for general requirements.
- Receipt of official transcripts from a baccalaureate granting institution.
- Undergraduate cumulative GPA of 2.5.
Send all admission materials to
Office of Admission
470 East Lockwood Ave.
St. Louis, MO 63119
Completed application files will be reviewed by the Multidisciplinary Studies Department.