Mobile Technology in Education
DRAFT 2017-2018 GRADUATE STUDIES CATALOG
Effective 1 June 2017 through 31 May 2018
Please see the Graduate Catalog Archives for PDF versions of past catalogs.
This program is offered by the School of Education.
The Mobile Technology in Education certificate seeks to enable educators to facilitate learning with mobile devices both in and out of the classroom.
This program is only offered online.
The goals of the program are to facilitate our students’ ability to:
- Make sound decisions in choosing appropriate applications (apps).
- Use apps in the classroom to offer personalized, student-centered learning.
- Design apps in a process-based approach to information architecture and app programming.
- Develop skills in process management, information architecture, and problem-solving.
- Choose and use cloud-based apps in the classroom.
- Understand the roles of consumer and producer in applications.
This certificate consists of 20 hours.
Two tracks are available:
The Teacher Track is designed for instructors in K-12 education, higher education, and adult training using mobile devices in a 1-to-1 classroom, BYOD and lab setting.
The Technology Coordinator Track is designed for instructional technology leaders, network administrators, IT managers, and support personnel in K-12 education, higher education, and adult training managing mobile devices in a 1-to-1 classroom, BYOD and lab settings. An integral part of this track is the study of various programming languages.
Both tracks require the following courses:
- EDTC 5460 Curriculum Design Technology Apps (3 hours)
- EDTC 5900 Technology, Ethics and Society (3 hours)
- EDTC 5770 Using Mobile Apps for Learning (3 hours)
- EDTC 5775 Developing Mobile Apps for Learning (3 hours)
The Teacher Track requires these additional courses:
- EDTC 5465 Instructional Design (2 hours)
- EDTC 5032 Assessing Using Technology (2 hours)
- EDTC 5550 Web Authoring and Design I (2 hours)
- EDTC 5555 Web Authoring and Design II (2 hours)
The Technology Coordinator requires these additional courses:
- EDTC 5250 Programming I for Educators (2 hours)
- EDTC 5255 Programming II for Educators (2 hours)
- EDTC 5720 Computer Networks (2 credit hours)
- EDTC 5730 Technical Environment Management (2 hours)
If desired, the certificate may be used as part of a master’s degree program.
Students seeking this graduate certificate are advised to consult the following parts of Webster's Graduate Studies Catalog: Admission, Enrollment, Academic Policies, and Graduate Certificates.
Students who are interested in applying to this certificate program should see the Admission Section found in the front of this catalog for general requirements.
- Official transcripts from the baccalaureate granting institution.
- Undergraduate cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher.
- Essay: Why are you interested in the Certificate in Mobile Technology in Education?
Send all admission materials to:
Office of Admission
470 E. Lockwood Ave.
St. Louis, MO 63119
Completed application files will be reviewed by the Coordinator of Educational Technology.
Transfer of Credit
No transfer credit is allowed for the certificate in Mobile Technology in Education