Teaching English as a Foreign Language
2016-2017 GRADUATE STUDIES CATALOG
Effective 1 June 2016 through 31 May 2017
Please see the Graduate Catalog Archives for PDF versions of past catalogs.
This program offered by School of Education
All students pursuing the the Webster TEFL certificate will be considered degree-seeking students and will have the option to pursue the MA in TESL - Adult Track within 5 years from the start of their TESL coursework
This program is offered online and at the St. Louis home campus.
- TESL 5230 Second Language Acquisition (3 hours)
- TESL 5139 English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) Methods (3 hours)
- TESL 5220 Curriculum Development in Second Language Classrooms (3 hours)
- TESL 5350 Language and Culture (3 hours)
- TESL 5710: Grammar for ESL/EFL Teachers
or TESL 5720: Teaching English Pronunciation (3 hours)
- TESL 5040 Practicum in ESOL (taken at the end of the program) (3 hours)
Electives (3 credit hours):
- TESL 5311 Principles and Practices of Language Testing (3 hours)
- TESL 5030 Language History, Planning, and Policy (3 hours)
- TESL 5710: Grammar for ESL/EFL Teachers (3 hours)
- TESL 5720: Teaching English Pronunciation (3 hours)
- COMM 5340 Teaching Language and Language Issues (3 hours)
- COMM 5344 Introduction to Linguistics (3 hours)
- COMM 5199 Teaching Writing (3 hours)
Students who are interested in applying to this certificate program should see the Admission Section of this catalog for general requirements.
- Receipt of official transcripts from the baccalaureate-granting institution.
- Undergraduate cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher.
- Essay: Describe your teaching philosophy in terms of the kind of knowledge and values that will make a teacher a more effective English as a Second Language/English as a Foreign Language instructor.
Send all required admission materials to
Office of Admission
470 East Lockwood Ave.
St. Louis, MO 63119