Arts Management and Leadership (MFA)
DRAFT 2016-2017 GRADUATE STUDIES CATALOG
This catalog becomes effective 1 June 2016 through 31 May 2017
Please see the Graduate Catalog Archives for a PDF version of the current 2015-16 Catalog,
as well as for PDF versions of past catalogs.
This program offered by Leigh Gerdine College of Fine Arts
The master of fine arts (MFA) in arts management and leadership is a program to develop professional, enlightened, and imaginative leadership for visual and performing arts institutions. Students will acquire an understanding of the theories of business management and techniques with special emphasis on the application of these skills to the arts.
The goal of the program is to graduate students who are immediately qualified to assume specialized administrative positions with professional arts organizations and who will eventually assume leading decision-making positions in the field. It is anticipated that these graduates will work to effectively influence policies regarding the appropriate role of arts in our society.
This program is offered at the St. Louis home campus.
- Admission to the program constitutes advancement to candidacy.
- One grade of F, or two grades of C, constitute dismissal from the program.
- AMLD 5010 Introduction to Arts Management/Planning (3 hours)
- AMLD 5020 Legal Issues in the Arts (3 hours)
- AMLD 5030 Fund-Raising/Development (3 hours)
- AMLD 5040 Leadership Issues and Board Strategies (3 hours)
- AMLD 5050 Community and Cultural Policy (3 hours)
- AMLD 5060 Accounting and Basics in Finance (3 hours)
- AMLD 5070 Marketing for the Arts (3 hours)
- AMLD 5065 Financial Issues in the Arts (3 hours)
- AMLD 5200 Seminar in Arts Leadership (9 hours)
- AMLD 5210 Thesis Project (3 hours)
- AMLD 5220 Completion and Acceptance of Final Thesis (3 hours)
- AMLD 5453 Stakeholder Management Communications (3 hours)
- HRMG 5000 Managing Human Resources (3 hours)
TOTAL: 45 hours
Students who are interested in applying to this degree program should also see the Admission Section found in the front of this catalog for general requirements.
- Previous practical experience in an arts discipline
- A bachelor of arts (BA), bachelor of fine arts (BFA), or approved equivalent from an accredited institution
- Submission of official transcripts
- Three letters of recommendation
- Statement of at least 1,000 words examining issues concerning "Arts and the Future"
- Interview with faculty
Send all admission materials to:
Office of Admission
470 E. Lockwood Ave.
St. Louis, MO 63119