Human Resources Management (MA)
2015-2016 GRADUATE STUDIES CATALOG
Effective 1 June 2015 through 31 May 2016
Please see the Graduate Catalog Archives for PDF versions of past catalogs.
This program offered by Walker School of Business & Technology
The goal of the human resources management degree is to prepare human resource professionals to address the complexities and challenges of managing today's workforce. The program content is designed to provide a comprehensive coverage of the major human resource functions, addressing strategic decisions and operational execution of HR service delivery. The courses involve both practical and theoretical considerations in the development of HR professionals in settings such as business, industry, government, and nonprofit organizations and institutions, both nationally and globally.
This program is offered online, at the St. Louis home campus, and at select U.S and international campuses. Please see the Campus Locations section of this catalog for a list of campuses where this program is offered.
The Walker School of Business & Technology is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) for BS, BA, MBA, MA, MS, and doctoral programs in the Business and Management departments.
- Students will be able to explain the important terminology, facts, concepts, principles, analytic techniques, and theories used in human resources management.
- Students will be able to effectively apply important terminology, facts, concepts, principles, analytic techniques, and theories used in human resources management when analyzing situations.
- Students will be able to effectively integrate important facts, concepts, principles, and theories used in human resources management when developing solutions or analyzing situations.
The 37 credit hours required for the master of arts (MA) or the 52 credit hours required for the master of business administration (MBA) must include the following courses for a major/emphasis in human resources management:
- HRMG 5000 Managing Human Resources (Requisite Course) (3 hours)
- MNGT 5590 Organizational Behavior (3 hours)
- BUSN 5200 Basic Finance for Managers (3 hours)
- HRDV 5610 Training and Development (3 hours)
- HRMG 5700 Employment Law (3 hours)
- HRMG 5800 Staffing (3 hours)
- HRMG 5920 Compensation (3 hours)
- HRMG 5930 Labor-Management Relations (3 hours)
- HRMG 6000 Integrated Studies in Human Resources Management (3 hours)
- WSBT 5000 Career Success for the 21st Century (1 hour)
In addition, the student chooses elective courses offered in this major and/or from the program curricula of other George Herbert Walker School of Business & Technology majors.
If the requisite course is waived, the student must choose an elective course from this major or from the program curriculum of another George Herbert Walker School of Business & Technology major. Students pursuing dual majors who have the requisite course(s) waived will complete only the remaining required courses for the dual majors.
Students who are interested in applying to this degree program should see the Admission Section of this catalog for general requirements.
Send all admission materials to:
Office of Admissions
470 E. Lockwood Ave.
St. Louis, MO 63119