Science Management and Leadership (MS)
DRAFT 2015-2016 GRADUATE STUDIES CATALOG
Becomes Effective 1 June 2015 through 31 May 2016
Please see the Graduate Catalog Archives for the current 2014-2015 Catalog
or for PDF versions of past catalogs.
This program offered by College of Arts & Sciences
The master of science (MS) in science management and leadership is designed for professional scientists and engineers who are advancing in their careers in management and leadership roles. The program aims to provide these professionals with competencies in project management, leadership, regulatory and quality affairs, intellectual property, business law, finance, marketing, communications, and ethics. The program will provide opportunities for mentoring and networking experiences.
This program is offered online, at the St. Louis home campus, and at the Westport campus.
Upon completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Compose and present written and verbal information clearly and effectively to a variety of audiences.
- Discuss the role of ethical standards in business and leadership.
- Demonstrate the ability to work in teams, resolve conflict, and lead to achieve common goals.
- Formulate the role of marketing, finance, and budgeting in the process of product development for science-based operations.
- Formulate the role intellectual property in science-based operations.
- Construct and evaluate project plans in accordance with regulatory and qualitative affairs standards for science-based operations.
The 36 credit hours required for the MS in science management and leadership must include the following courses:
- SCML 5050 Communication for Professional Science Management and Leadership (3 hours)
- MNGT 5590 Organizational Behavior (3 hours)
- SCML 5590 Ethics and Social Responsibility in Science Management and Leadership (3 hours)
- PATA 5120 Foundations in Intellectual Property Law (3 hours)
- SCML 5700 Marketing and Comparative Analysis for Science Management and Leadership (3 hours)
- BUSN 5200 Basic Finance for Managers (3 hours)
- SCML 5800 Project Management (3 hours)
- SCML 5850 Regulatory and Qualitative Affairs for Science Management and Leadership (3 hours)
- SCML 6000 Practical Application in Science Management and Leadership (3 hours)
In addition, the student chooses the remaining required credit hours from elective courses offered in this major and/or from the program curricula of other majors.
Students who are interested in applying to this degree program should also see the Admission Section of this catalog for general requirements.
Send all required documents to:
Office of Admission
470 East Lockwood Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63119