2016-2017 UNDERGRADUATE STUDIES CATALOG
Effective 1 June 2016 through 31 May 2017
Please see the Undergraduate Catalog Archives for PDF versions of past catalogs.
This program is offered by George Herbert Walker School of Business & Technology/Mathematics and Computer Science Department
Data analytics encompasses a wide range of technologies to support analyzing data, transforming information and generating intelligence. Technologies play important roles in data analytics systems and form the foundation of architecture. There is a constant demand for data analysis and information analysts who can understand database, query data, perform activities in analytical processing, statistical analysis, forecasting, and data mining. The certificate program is created to meet this demand, helping students understand underlying concepts and methodologies that are used in data analytics processes.
Students in the program will study concepts and principles in data analytics and the underlying building technologies. Students will experience a broad category of applications and techniques for gathering, storing, analyzing, and providing access to data to help users in organizations perform better decision making.
Minor may be taken in lieu of the certificate program. Students may choose to receive the minor or certificate, but not both.
For information on general requirements for the certificate, see Certificate Program Policies and Procedures.
- Students will be able to demonstrate critical thinking skills in the field of data analytics.
- Students will be able to demonstrate the ability to solve problems related to the program content.
- Students will be able to analyze, design and document a system component using appropriate data analytics techniques and models.
- Students will be able to demonstrate an understanding of fundamental principles of data analytics systems and technologies.
- STAT 1100 Descriptive Statistics (3 hours)
- COAP 2560 Electronic Spreadsheet (3 hours)
- CSIS 1500 Introduction to Business Technologies (3 hours)
- CSIS 2500 Introduction to Data Science (3 hours)
- CSIS 3410 Information Analysis (3 hours)
- CSIS 3700 Data Analytics Methods (3 hours)