Games and Game Design (BA)
2016-2017 UNDERGRADUATE STUDIES CATALOG
Effective 1 June 2016 through 31 May 2017
Please see the Undergraduate Catalog Archives for PDF versions of past catalogs.
This program offered by School of Communications/Electronic and Photographic Media Department
The BA in Games and Game Design offers students the opportunity to engage in a fun and engaging degree engineered towards gaining students employment as a designer within the growing field of games and ‘serious games’ development. Students will cultivate their understanding of the principles of game design, with tools and techniques that will allow for the creation of numerous levels, mods and games during their academic study. Courses will give students a broad social understanding of the considerations of games developing in an age of advancing technology, and how to tailor make games to ensure their personal creative concepts are developed and realized.
Successful graduates of the program will be able to:
- Conceptualize and design specific gameplay experiences with an understanding towards the principles of design and their reception by the user.
- Demonstrate technical proficiency in the planning and creation of game levels, mods and multi-level games.
- Demonstrate an ethical, professional and cultural understanding of game design, and a readiness to work in the global market.
- Display an understanding of the principles and technologies involved in designing for games, and the broader fields of serious gaming, VR and simulation.
A minimum of 128 credit hours consisting of the following:
- 54 required credit hours
- Applicable University Global Citizenship Program hours General Education Program hours
- AUDI 1000 Audio Production I for Non-Majors (3 hours)
- ANIM 1020 3D Animation Production: Core Concepts (3 hours)
- ART 1110 Introduction to Drawing (3 hours)
- GAME 2000 Introduction to Video Game Theory and Design (3 hours)
- GAME 2500 Traditional Game Design (3 hours)
- SOCI 2650 Games and Society (3 hours)
- GAME 3000 Game Design I (3 hours)
- ANIM 3030 Visual Storytelling (3 hours)
- GAME 3500 Video Game History (3 hours)
- SCPT 3500 Writing Screenplays for Film (3 hours)
- GAME 3650 World Design (3 hours)
- GAME 4000 Level Design (3 hours)
- GAME 4500 Game Design II (3 hours)
- GAME 4600 Video Game Production (3 hours)
- GAME 4620 Senior Overview* (3 hours) or MEDC 4950 Internship (3 hours)
Elective Courses (Select 9 credit hours from the following)
- ANIM 1000 Animation I (3 hours)
- FTVP 1000 Introduction to Film, Television and Video Production (3 hours)
- ANIM 1040 Storyboarding (3 hours)
- ANIM 3200 Intermediate 3D Animation (3 hours)
- ANIM 3150 Special Topics in Animation (3 hours)
- AUDI 3100 Audio Field Production for Visual Media (3 hours)
- COSC 1550 Computer Programming I (3 hours)
- COSC 1560 Computer Programming II (3 hours)
- COSC 2070 Introduction to Mobile Technology (3 hours)
- FLST 2060 Modern World Cinema (4 hours)
- FLST 3160 Special Topics in Film Theory (3 hours)
- GAME 3150 Special Topics in Game Design (3 hours)
- INTM 1600 Introduction to Interactive Digital Media (3 hours)
- INTM 2000 Strategic Writing for Interactive Media (3 hours)
- INTM 2200 Visual Design for Interactive Digital Media (3 hours)
- INTM 3150 Special Topics in Interactive Digital Media (3 hours)
- INTM 3200 Interface Design (3 hours)
- SCPT 3150 Special Topics in Scriptwriting (3 hours)