2016-2017 UNDERGRADUATE STUDIES CATALOG
Effective 1 June 2016 through 31 May 2017
Please see the Undergraduate Catalog Archives for PDF versions of past catalogs.
This program offered by College of Arts & Sciences/History, Politics, and International Relations Department
Upon completion of the history major, students will:
- Be familiar with the outlines of the history of the modern world, i.e. since 1500.
- Be familiar in some depth with the history of one geographic area or historical epoch.
- Be able to make historical arguments using concrete illustrations and examples
A minimum of 128 credit hours consisting of the following:
- 42 required credit hours within the History, Politics, & International Relations Department
- 30 of the 42 required credit hours must be in history courses, including HIST 2600, INTL 1500, a research requirement (completed by placing on file with the department a substantial research paper from an upper-level course or a senior thesis), and senior overview.
- 3 international language requirement credit hours
- Applicable University Global Citizenship Program hours
History majors must take a minimum of 6 credit hours of political science and/or international
relations. They must take at least 12 credit hours of upper-level coursework in the
department (3000 or above), of which a minimum of 6 credit hours must be HIST.
At least 18 of the 42 required credit hours in history, political science, and international relations must be taken at Webster University.
International Language Requirement
- A minimum of three hours in a foreign language is required. Courses used towards the international language requirement may also be used to fulfill global citizenship requirements or a major/minor in a foreign language.
- Transfer students who have completed their 3 credits at an institution of higher education are considered to have fulfilled the requirement, as are students who have scored a "3" or higher on an Advanced Placement exam in a non-native language.
- For students whose native language is not English, a passing grade on the TOEFL will count as their foreign language requirement. Students who are from bilingual families but have no evidence of academic study of the second language on a transcript will need to take one course.
The 42 credit hours required for history majors include:
- INTL 1500 The World System since 1500 (3 hours)
- American history (3 hours)
- European history (3 hours)
- Non-Western history (e.g., Asia, African, Latin American) (3 hours)
- HIST 2600 The Craft of History (3 hours)
- HIST 4000 Research Requirement (to be taken in conjunction with a designated 3000-level or 4000-level) (0 hours)
- Senior overview (0 hours)
- Political science/international relations (6 hours)
- Departmental electives (can include courses in HIST, POLT, INTL) (6 hours)
- One additional departmental course (3 hours)
- Upper-level coursework in the department (12 hours)
Students who are interested in applying to this degree program should see the Admission Section of this catalog for general requirements.