Lighting Design (BFA)
DRAFT 2017-2018 UNDERGRADUATE STUDIES CATALOG
Effective 1 June 2017 through 31 May 2018
Please see the Undergraduate Catalog Archives for PDF versions of past catalogs.
This program is offered by the Leigh Gerdine College of Fine Arts/Conservatory of Theatre Arts.
It is our mission to train our future colleagues to become visionaries, creators, and leaders in the next generation of American professional theatre.
At the end of their training, students will demonstrate an effective design process that integrates their abilities to:
- Develop a design concept for a production in a collaborative process with a director and a creative team.
- Analyze comprehensively the lighting needs of a play.
- Implement strong research skills.
- Recognize trends in theatre history and visual styles.
- Master skills in design presentation.
Only courses completed with a grade of C- or above will count toward fulfilling the specific requirements of the major.
Auditions/interviews are required for all students planning to major in theatre at Webster University. Auditions/interviews are held each year during the spring semester for entrance into the following fall session. Both on-campus and off-campus audition sites are available to prospective theatre students. No video auditions are accepted.
- 102 required credit hours
- Applicable university Global Citizenship Program hours, as adjusted for theatre BFAs
Global Citizenship Program for Theatre BFAs
- FRSH 1200 First Year Seminar
- 3 credit hours from courses designated ‘Roots of Cultures’ (THEA 2030, THEA 2040, THEA 2050, or MUTH 1030 can fulfill GCP and major requirements simultaneously)
- 3 credit hours from courses designated ‘Social Systems & Human Behavior’ or ‘Global Understanding’
- 3 credit hours from courses designated ‘Physical & Natural World’ or ‘Quantitative Literacy’ (SCIN 1410 can fulfill GCP and major requirements simultaneously)
- KEYS 4XXX Global Keystone Seminar
NOTE: Except where specified otherwise, the above courses must not also satisfy major requirements. GCP skills requirements are fulfilled through Conservatory instruction. Arts Appreciation is satisfied in meeting the requirements for the major.
- CONS 1010, 1020, 2010, 2020, 3010, 3020, 4010, 4020 (the Conservatory sequence or its equivalent) (72 hours)
- ART 1110 Introduction to Drawing (3 hours)
- ART 1120 Principles of Drawing (3 hours)
- ART 1130 Figure Drawing for Theatre Majors (6 hours)
- DESN 1210 Design Concepts (3 hours)
- DESN 1220 Design: 3-D (3 hours)
- SCIN 1410 Light, Sound and Electricity (3 hours)
- THEA 2030 History of the Theatre: Greeks to Elizabethan (3 hours)
- THEA 2040 History of the Theatre: Restoration to 1915 (3 hours)
- THEA 2050 History of Theatre: 1915 to Present (3 hours)