Certificate in International Languages
In keeping with the mission of Webster University as a whole, the Department of International Languages and Cultures encourages creativity and critical thinking while preparing students for global citizenship and individual excellence, and to be competitive in today's global marketplace.
Personalized instruction from faculty trained in different areas of international languages and cultures increases students' awareness of their own values and paradigms as well as those of others.
Upon completion of the program, students should:
- Recognize and appraise the complexities of a culture or cultures different from their own.
- identify multiple cultural perspectives based on original texts and cultural materials.
- critically analyze their own culture and its place in the world.
- question cultural stereotypes.
- demonstrate successful and sensitive communication, both orally and in writing, with people from another culture through an understanding of their language and culture (according to linguistic level).
- relate their personality, values and complex thoughts in a language other than their native one (according to linguistic level).
International languages are an important part of the preparation that students receive as part of our mission to prepare all for global citizenship. We recognize students' achievements in a language or more than one language with our certificate.