Grievance Policy

If students have complaints about a classroom situation, they should first attempt to resolve the situation with the instructor. If resolution cannot be made with the instructor, or if the complaint is over a general school policy over which the instructor has no jurisdiction, then they may contact the school director for mediation. If the complaint cannot be resolved at the school level, students may contact Nonpublic Institution Licensing of the Commission on Higher Education. The complaint must be in writing. The school director will provide students with the necessary form.