Center for Portfolio Development and Internships: Students
An academic internship through the School of Communications Center for Portfolio Development & Internships (the Center) is your chance to dive into your chosen field and gain valuable experience. It's an opportunity that bridges the academic and professional worlds and one that shouldn't be missed.
About the program:
The Center for Portfolio Development & Internships assists more than 150 undergraduate students within 16 different majors each year in securing internships across the country. Internships can be paid or unpaid, depending upon the organization. Students may complete internships in all three academic semesters (fall, spring, and summer).
To ensure students are prepared for their internship, the Center works hard to:
- Provide career path advice to students
- Match students with internships based upon skill set and interest
- Provide students with the resources necessary to achieve success
Internships are available in settings as varied as production houses and studios, agencies, nonprofit organizations, educational environments, and cultural institutions. Internships are also available in health care, sports entertainment, radio, and television industries, as well as corporate settings.
Each year, the Center invites a sampling of these groups and organizations to the St. Louis home campus for an Internship Expo. Through the Internship Expo students can meet a variety of professionals, begin networking, and even obtain an internship.
All undergraduate students who participate in a credit-bearing internship by partnering with the Center for Portfolio Development & Internships:
- Intern at a School of Communications-approved internship
- Work under the supervision of an expert in their chosen field of study
- Gain entry-level industry experience and build a network of professional contacts
- Work a minimum of 192 hours and participate in monthly MEDC 4950 seminar meetings
- Receive a grade based 50 percent on academic work and 50 percent on evaluation by the internship supervisor
Mission: The Webster University School of Communications Center for Portfolio Development & Internships is dedicated to preparing students in successfully launching a career in their chosen field of study through providing them assistance with developing portfolios and securing internships.