COMMUNITY MUSIC SCHOOL
Individual music lessons at the Community Music School prepare students to express themselves musically and acquire the skills necessary to successfully participate in ensembles, perform in public, and enjoy a lifelong love of music.
The Community Music School offers private music lessons for all ages, levels, and abilities. Students meet for one-on-one weekly sessions with CMS instructors. Music lessons are available on all instruments of the band and orchestra, piano, guitar, and voice. Lessons are offered at four St. Louis locations, including an After School partnership program with the St. Louis Public School District.
Our walk-in registration sessions allow staff members to consider a student’s background, personality, personal motivation and goals, as well as specific needs or requirements, to place the student with the most appropriate instructor.
Youngest beginning age:
- Piano: 6 years
- Guitar: 6 years
- Traditional Strings: 7-8 years
- Suzuki Violin: 4-6 years (more info about Suzuki Strings)
- Suzuki Cello: 5-7 years (more info about Suzuki Strings)
- Woodwinds & brass: 9-10 years
- Percussion: 9-10 years
- Voice: 12-13 years
- Composition: 12 years (must have basic note-reading skills)
- Theory: Reading age
Lesson Lengths: 30, 45, or 60 minutes/week
Length of Semester:Fall & Spring semester: 18 weeks
Fall 2012 Semester: August 20, 2012 – January 15, 2013
Spring 2013 Semester: January 22 – May 31, 2013 (last day for Saturday & Monday lessons will be June 8 & 10)
Summer Session: June 13 – July 25, 2013
What you need to be successful:
- Your own instrument and/or regular access to an instrument for practice. A traditional piano is preferred for piano students and is essential after the first semester of lessons.
- Be prepared to attend lessons weekly with instruments in good order.
- Regular practice and attendance are essential to music study.
- Students are encouraged to attend CMS master classes, workshops, concerts, and recitals. These educational opportunities are designed to enhance learning and students’ progress.
Find out more:
- Individual Lessons
- Suzuki Strings Program
- Kindermusik & Young Years Music Program
- Orchestras and Ensembles
- Preparatory Program
- Summer Music Programs
- Young Composers Competition
- How to Register
- Meet the Faculty
- Current Students
- Make a Tuition Payment
- Contact Us
- News and Events
- Support the CMS
- Information for Faculty and Staff