COMMUNITY MUSIC SCHOOL
Individual music lessons at the Community Music School prepare students to express themselves musically and acquire the skills necessary to successfully participate in ensembles, perform in public, and enjoy a lifelong love of music.
The Community Music School offers private music lessons for all ages, levels, and
abilities. Students meet for one-on-one weekly sessions with CMS instructors. Music lessons are available on all instruments of the band and orchestra, piano,
guitar, harp, and voice. Lessons are offered at four St. Louis locations, including an After School partnership program with the St. Louis Public School District.
Our walk-in registration sessions allow staff members to consider a student's background, personality, personal motivation and goals, as well as specific needs or requirements, to place the student with the most appropriate instructor.
Youngest beginning age:
- Piano: 6 years
- Guitar: 6 years
- Harp: 12 years
- Traditional Strings: 7-8 years
- Suzuki Violin: 4-6 years (more info about Suzuki Strings)
- Suzuki Cello: 5-7 years (more info about Suzuki Strings)
- Woodwinds & brass: 9-10 years
- Percussion: 9-10 years
- Voice: 12-13 years
- Composition: 12 years (must have basic note-reading skills)
- Theory: Reading age
Lesson Lengths: 30, 45, or 60 minutes/week
Length of Semester: Fall & Spring semester: 18 weeks each
Summer session: 6 weeks
Fall 2016 Semester: August 13, 2016-January 7, 2017
Spring 2017 Semester: January 17-May 26, 2017 (plus June 3rd for Saturday lessons and June 5th for Monday lessons)
Summer 2017 Session: June 13-July 25, 2017 (plus July 29th for Saturday lessons and July 31st for Monday lessons)
What you need to be successful:
- Your own instrument and/or regular access to an instrument for practice. A traditional piano is preferred for piano students and is essential after the first semester of lessons.
- Be prepared to attend lessons weekly with instruments in good order.
- Regular practice and attendance are essential to music study.
- Students are encouraged to attend CMS master classes, workshops, concerts, and recitals. These educational opportunities are designed to enhance learning and students' progress.
Find out more:
- Individual Lessons
- Suzuki Strings Program
- Kindermusik & Young Years Music Program
- Orchestras and Ensembles
- Music Today
- Preparatory Program
- Summer Music Programs
- Young Composers Competition
- 90th Anniversary Celebration
- How to Register
- Meet the Faculty
- Current Students
- Make a Tuition Payment
- Contact Us
- News and Events
- Support the CMS
- Information for Faculty and Staff
- School Calendar
- Explore Music
- Re-Enrollment Form for Continuing Individual & Suzuki Lesson Students
- Find Out More
- Follow Your Dreams and Shoot for the Stars!
- Driving directions to the CMS
- Recital Entry Form