Kindermusik® For the Young Child
COMMUNITY MUSIC SCHOOL
Age: 5-7 years old, parent or caregiver attend the last 10 minutes
For your budding musician, Kindermusik for the Young Child provides an exciting, pressure-free class where your big kid can develop a strong musical foundation by learning the concepts, language, notation, and vocabulary of music and its greatest composers. Through a variety of fun things for kids, engaging activities, Young Child students explore rhythm, notation, musical symbols and authentic pre-keyboard, string and woodwind instruments – as well as their own instrument, the voice. You'll be amazed as your child astonishes you with his new found ability to create musical compositions and you'll love the many ways our kids music classes prepare your young musician for a successful future in school and in music lessons.
Fall 2016 Classes:
Fall Semester 1 (open to new students) - Everything your child learns later in semesters 2, 3, and 4 begins with this early introduction to singing, reading, and writing music and rhythm. Through dances and games that focus on rhythmic development, we'll learn to play a pre-keyboard instrument—the glockenspiel—which will be used throughout all the Young Child classes.
Fall Semester 3 (continuing students only) - Appalachian music is a featured musical style this semester. First, you and your child will build a two-stringed dulcimer instrument with materials that we’ll provide. Then in class we’ll learn to play chords and simple melodies on the instrument you built together. We’ll also explore rhythm concepts through dance with an introduction to the basic steps in jazz, ballet, and tap dances. African-American and Native American music, as well as the Western Art music of the Nutcracker Suite round out the semester.
Spring Semester 2 (open to new students ages 5-6 years) - Playing simple musical patterns and songs on the featured instrument from the first session—the glockenspiel—is a central focus this semester. While learning to sing a melody, and then play the pattern on the glockenspiel, we'll delve deeper into the understanding of musical concepts such as piano and forte through orchestra-style music such as the William Tell Overture and Peter and the Wolf. Music appreciation and understanding continues with a complete introduction to the instruments of the orchestra.
Spring Semester 4 (continuing students only) - In this final semester, we'll introduce the recorder instrument. As your child is introduced to basic methods of playing simple melodic patterns and songs on this wind instrument, we'll also incorporate the instruments, concepts, and songs from previous semesters. With a special emphasis on multicultural music, your child will learn to improvise and write music, as well as experience the musical styles of the Pacific Islands, Europe, and Africa; plus play special dances and children's games from around the world, including the Alpine region, Mexico, and Ecuador.
Your Home Materials provide the music, instruments, stickers, and activities for a home version of the same playful activities you'll hear about from class, so your child—and you!—can learn where you're most comfortable: at home.
Class structure: 1 class per week for 14 weeks
Class Length: 60 minutes/week
Fall 2016 Semester: August 31 - December 19, 2016 (starting and ending dates vary by location, please see the weekly calendar)
First United Methodist Church
|600 N. Bompart
Webster Groves, MO 63119
|Tuesday||4:30-5:30p - Young Child 3 for Fall - continuing students only|
|Thursday||6:00-7:00p - Young Child 1 for Fall - new students welcome|
Fall 2016 Tuition: $231 per semester, plus kit fee & $10 per semester registration fee.
Material Kit Fees:
- Fall semester 1 (new Young Child students): $80 includes children's folder with stickers,
games bag, music at home cards, family songbook, home CD of music from class, glockenspiel, and canvas bag.
- Fall semester 1 sibling kit: $50 without carry bag and glockenspiel.
- Fall semester 3 (continuing students only): $80 includes children’s folder with stickers, games bag, and Music At Home Cards, Family Songbook, home CD of music from class, and dulcimer.
- Fall semester 3 sibling kit: $50 without dulcimer.
- Registration Form for Fall 2016
- Meet the Educators
- Class times & locations for Fall 2016
- Weekly calendar for Fall 2016
- Policies, payment plan, and tuition assistance
- Questions? Call (314) 968-5939 or email Carol Commerford at email@example.com
Check out Kindermusik For the Young Child in action!
Other Kindermusik Academy and Young Years Music Classes Offered
- Kindermusik Village (birth-18 months with adult)
- Kindermusik Our Time (18 months-3.5 years old with adult)
- Kindermusik Imagine That (3-5 years old)
- Kindermusik Our Time for the Family (6 months - 6 years old with adult)
- Music for Little Mozarts (4-6 years old with an adult)
- Kindermusik Family Camp: Beach Days (summer session 6 months - 5 years old with adult)
- Individual Lessons
- Suzuki Strings Program
- Kindermusik & Young Years Music Program
- Orchestras and Ensembles
- Music Today
- Preparatory Program
- Summer Music Programs
- Young Composers Competition
- 90th Anniversary Celebration
- How to Register
- Meet the Faculty
- Current Students
- Make a Tuition Payment
- Contact Us
- News and Events
- Support the CMS
- Information for Faculty and Staff
- School Calendar
- Explore Music
- Re-Enrollment Form for Continuing Individual & Suzuki Lesson Students
- Find Out More