COMMUNITY MUSIC SCHOOL
Classical music is being composed today! It engages with our modern culture, exploring
new styles, new sounds, and new ideas. Music Today introduces students to music by living composers and the creative process of collaboration.
Students are guided by CMS faculty and members of Alarm Will Sound, a national leader among contemporary music ensembles.
Financial assistance is available, plus discounts for students in CMS ensembles and St. Louis Symphony Youth Orchestra who wish to participate in both. Call (314) 968-5939 for more information.
- Listen to Music Today! students talk about working on a piece by Grant Bradshaw performed on the 2016 spring concert
- Listen to Music Today! students talk about a collaborative composition by Music Today students and Christopher Stark performed on the 2016 spring concert
3:00 p.m., Sunday, December 11, 2016
3:00 p.m., Sunday, May 7, 2017 (tentative)
At the Community Music School
535 Garden Ave.
Webster Groves, MO 63119
FREE and open to the public
INSTRUMENTS: Strings, Brass, Woodwinds, Percussion, Piano
AGES: Students entering 7-12 grades and who are intermediate level or beyond
• Must be at the intermediate level or beyond for your instrument.
• Must be able to read music fluently.
• Must be confident with reading rhythms and open to new music experiences
AUDITIONS: Not required for acceptance, however, an initial “playing” will be conducted to determine ability and repertoire on August 28, 12-6 p.m.
REHEARSALS: Sundays, 3:45-5:45 p.m., beginning September 18, 2016
CMS Center, 535 Garden Avenue, Webster Groves, MO 63119
Alarm Will Sound
Alarm Will Sound has established a reputation for performing demanding music with energetic skill. ASCAP recognized their contributions to new music with a 2006 Concert Music Award for "the virtuosity, passion and commitment with which they perform and champion the repertory for the 21st century." Their performances have been described as "equal parts exuberance, nonchalance, and virtuosity" by the London Financial Times and as "a triumph of ensemble playing" by the San Francisco Chronicle. The New York Times says Alarm Will Sound is "the future of classical music" and "the very model of a modern music chamber band." Learn more about Alarm Will Sound at www.alarmwillsound.com
Resources for Prospective Students:
- 2016-17 Application deadline: July 29, 2016
- Download an 2016-17 Application (includes requirements, dates, and applications)
- Tuition Rates
- Financial Assistance & Scholarships
- Questions? Call (314) 968-5939 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Individual Lessons
- Suzuki Strings Program
- Kindermusik & Young Years Music Program
- Orchestras and Ensembles
- Music Today
- Preparatory Program
- Summer Music Programs
- Young Composers Competition
- How to Register
- Meet the Faculty
- Current Students
- Make a Tuition Payment
- Contact Us
- News and Events
- Support the CMS
- Information for Faculty and Staff
- School Calendar
- Explore Music
- Re-Enrollment Form for Continuing Individual & Suzuki Lesson Students
- Find Out More