The Bullets of Abuse
- Does your partner get angry when you talk on the phone?
- Does s/he open your mail?
- Is your partner angry when you are just a little late getting home?
- Does your partner want you home when s/he is home?
- Does s/he keep you from seeing friends or say bad things about the people you like?
- Are you sometimes afraid of your partner?
- Do you worry about what s/he will think about how you dress?
- Do you ask your partner who you can see or whether you can go out?
- Are you careful of what you say so that s/he won't get upset?
- Do you feel like you are walking on eggshells?
- Does s/he call you names like "stupid, "bitch" or "bastard"?
- Does your partner say no one else would want you?
- Does s/he tell you what is "wrong" with you in front of other people?
- Has s/he made you do things that make you feel ashamed?
- Has your partner said s/he will go crazy or kill him/herself if you leave?
- Does your partner react to things by yelling, slamming doors or throwing things?
- Does your partner refuse to let you go out unless you do as s/he says?
- Does your partner threaten to hit you if you don't obey?
- Does s/he force sex on you when you don't want it?
- Do you work so hard to please him or her that you feel worn out?
- Are you unable to do things you used to do easily?
- After your partner has been mean, does s/he act sweet and loving?
- After you partner has hit you, does s/he act remorseful and say s/he'll never do it again?
- When you decide to leave, does s/he give you hope for change?
- When you consider leaving, do you decide to stay because you think of the good times and hope they will happen again?
Maybe you are in an abusive relationship
Abuse can be emotional, intellectual, physical, social, spiritual and vocational. People in abusive relationships often feel very alone, embarrassed and trapped. The important thing to know is that this is NOT your fault. You have the right to be treated with respect and kindness.
Call or come to Counseling/Life Development. We are located on the first floor of
- Beating Homesick
- Abusive Relationship
- Myths of Therapy
- Codependency vs. Interdependency
- Eating Disorders
- Domestic Abuse
- Stress 101
- Choosing to Wait
- Dysfunctional Relationships
- Counseling Home
- Alcohol and Drug Prevention
- Sexual Offense Survivors Support
- Meet the Staff
- Easy Self-Assessment