Information for Students | Webster University

Information for Students

Guidance for Students

Updated: March 26 with info on Pass/Fail and Credit/No Credit Grading

Webster University classes at almost all locations have moved to an online environment for the remainder of the spring 2020 semester in response to global COVID-19 public health efforts, in accordance with local conditions and public directives. See the FAQ below for helpful information on making this transition.

ANNOUNCEMENTS: See the latest announcements from the COVID-19 Task Force here.

Please continue visiting our COVID-19 resource pages for the latest information on operational changes due to the coronavirus. You are also urged to check your Webster email account frequently. All official University communications are sent to your Webster email.

How do I find/forward my Webster Email?

You can find information regarding Webster email on the IT Service Desk’s website. You can also watch the Online Learning Center’s tutorial here: Should you choose to do so, you can forward your Webster email to a personal account:

Does This Affect My Financial Aid Award or Tuition/Credit Pricing?

The move to online courses will have no impact on tuition/credit hour prices or your existing financial aid awards, provided they continue to participate in their classes. Student employees will continue to report to their on-campus jobs.

Can My Course be graded Pass/Fail?

New, Temporary Policy on Grading Options for Spring 2020

Webster University has adjusted its policy on Pass/Fail (undergraduate) and Credit/No Credit (graduate) grading options for the Spring 2020 Semester and Spring 2 Term. The policy is linked at the top of the Undergraduate and Graduate Studies Catalogs

IMPORTANT: Students should talk to their academic advisors so that they make the best choice for their situations considering their major requirements and other factors important to the student.

Will my class meet if my campus is closed?

Yes, Webster University has a plan in place for your courses to continue in the event of a campus closure or when courses are moved to the online environment. Your course will meet virtually and you will want to check your WorldClassRoom course shell for details:

What do I need to know if my class is meeting via WebNet+ (Live Video Teleconference).

If your campus is part of a closure you will be added to a WebNet+ Student Orientation course. This course will help to navigate the software needed to attend your class. Students attending using this method will need a computer and internet access, headphones, a microphone, and a webcam. Note that you can attend using a WebEx app from your mobile device, but it is recommended that you use WiFi for this to avoid phone charges. If your plan allows unlimited data you can likely connect via phone or WiFi, whichever is fastest.

What do I need to know if my class is meeting fully Online?

If your campus is part of a closure, you will be added to an Online Student Orientation course. This course will help you learn to navigate WorldClassRoom. Students attending class fully Online will need a computer with internet access.

Are the orientation courses mandatory?

No. The orientation courses are not mandatory. However, they do provide you with the opportunity to learn how to navigate the technology without being in an actual course. The orientations will also allow you to make sure that you have the technology needed to use WorldClassRoom, as both WebNet+ and fully Online classes utilize it.

What do I do if I do not have a computer and/or internet access?

Because of precautions around COVID-19, courses are only offered via online format at this time. If you do not have access to a computer and are registered through a St. Louis-area campus (Webster Groves, Gateway, Westport, or Winghaven), please contact Erica Ellard, Director, Academic Resources Center, at or 314-246-7702, to explain your situation and inquire about options. If you are studying at another location, please contact your site director to inquire about options.

Regarding internet access, many providers are currently offering free internet access for new K-12 and college student households. Please contact your local service provider to inquire about options.

What do I do if I cannot get a microphone, webcam, and/or headphone?

You can attend using the WebEx app from your mobile device, but it is recommended that you use WiFi for this to avoid phone charges. If your plan allows unlimited data you can likely connect via phone or WiFi, whichever is fastest.

What if I do not want to take the course in the format offered?

Because of precautions around COVID-19, the course is only offered via online format at this time. You may withdraw from a course according to existing Drop/Withdrawal Policies, but please contact your advisor and review any potential impact on your degree/certificate plan and financial aid.

Who do I contact if I have questions about using WorldClassRoom or WebNet+?

Please contact the Online Learning Center’s Student Engagement Team at 866-622-0888 or

What if I have technology issues?

The IT Service Desk will be available for any technical troubleshooting questions you may have. You can find their contact info and hours here:

Can I Still Access Adobe Products?

Adobe is opening up their access to Adobe Creative Cloud for students at learning institutions who have moved to online instruction on a temporary basis. On March 16, Information Technology began taking the necessary steps to assign access to all currently enrolled students for at-home use.

Students will receive a message from Adobe when this is completed on how to activate their license. They should sign in at with their full email address and choose the “Company or School Account” option. They will then be redirected to a Webster University sign-in page where they should enter their email address again and their Connections password. They will be able to download the products directly from Adobe’s web page after logging in.

For students who already have a personal device license through JourneyEd, they should continue to log on the same way they are now with the “Personal Account” option. This access will be granted only for the length of time classes are conducted online or until the end of the semester (whichever comes first)

Are there any student housing closures at the Webster Groves campus?

On March 16, the Trump Administration announced new guidelines in the U.S. effort to slow COVID-19, including avoiding gatherings of 10 or more people. After this and additional CDC and local public health advisories, we began closing housing facilities at the Webster Groves campus. Faculty members teaching students in Webster Groves, be aware that this move may affect your students. Students who have unique situations that prevent them from moving to alternative housing should contact the Housing and Residential Life Office.


For international students studying within the United States

Does this affect my student status?

March 17 update: F1 students who decide to return home and complete coursework that now is required to be online, will be considered in status. You have several options for continuing your coursework and maintaining your visa status.

Staying in the U.S.

You can stay in the US and complete your courses – Please note the University is closing student housing facilities starting Tuesday, March 17, 2020. If you are unable to find a temporary place to stay in the US or are unable to return to your home country, you may submit a Petition to Stay in campus housing no later than Wednesday, March 18th at 3:00pm for consideration. Late petitions will not be reviewed. Students will be notified by Housing and Residential Life as soon as possible whether their petition has been approved or denied.

Leaving the U.S. to return to your home country

You can return home and complete the course work online. Even if classes may return on ground, instructors will work with you to complete the coursework online. If you choose this path, Webster University will keep your F1 student status active. Regarding reimbursements for flight cancellation and change fees, please contact the Director of Study Abroad Kelly Heath at 314-246-7881 or

Withdrawing from your Spring Classes

If you would like to return home and withdraw from your Spring classes, you can request a temporary leave by submitting the form at Leave of Absence Notification. Someone from the International Recruitment and Services team will reach out to you to explain what your options are once you decide to return and complete your studies. Your Form I20 must be signed prior to overseas travel.

Extending your student status to study abroad

For current study abroad students — If you would like to return back in Fall 2020 to take advantage of the study abroad experience, we can extend your current Form I20 (F1) to December 2020. If you are interested in taking this option, please notify International Services at IRIS can update your Form I-20 and give it to you before you depart the US to return home. Just please let us know what date you are leaving so we can make a note in our records.

If I decide to travel, what considerations should I keep in mind?

Before making plans to travel outside of the US, please check the following dates on your immigration documents:

  • Visa expiration date – is your visa already expired? You will need a valid visa to reenter the US.
  • Form I20 Travel signature – Make sure your Form I20 has a travel signature before your departure. Do you have a signature from your DSO dated within the past 12 months?
    • If yes, you do not need a new signature before leaving the US.
    • If no, please consult with International Services by email at before leaving; you will need to reapply for a new visa to return for a future term and getting a new visa is not guaranteed.

    note: In case your departure timeframe does not allow you time to get a signature, please contact IRIS team at and request we mail a new Form I20 at your home address with a travel signature before you make plans to return to US.

Please keep in mind that the Welcome Center in Webster Hall is closed as of March 18, 2020.

What documentation should I expect to submit?

Student Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) has approved that under these circumstances, international students can take all classes online through April 3rd. SEVP has the right to request verification that international students were in U.S completing coursework during this time. If such a request will come, you will be asked to provide your latest travel history by completing this form from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

If you are exhibiting symptoms of 2019-nCoV, you may be approved for an authorized medical reduced course load. You will need to provide documentation from the doctor and submit the request online at Reduced Course Load (RCL) Request - Medical Reasons.

If you are exhibiting symptoms of 2019-nCov and would like to return home, you can request a temporary leave by submitting the form at Leave of Absence Notification. Someone from the International Recruitment and Services team will reach out to you to explain what your options are once you decide to return and complete your studies.

Who can I contact for help?

As of March 18, the Multicultural Center and International Student Affairs (MCISA) office is open and observing social distancing standards in face to face interactions with walk in students. For more information, visit

If at any time you have any questions regarding your international student status, you can reach out to the IRIS team at

What if I'm experiencing financial or housing issues as an international student?

If you are experiencing financial distress or housing-related concerns as an international student studying in the United States, there are a few limited options that Webster University can offer. Please contact Assistant Director Bethany Keller in the MCISA office immediately at


For international students studying within Thailand

Are there any updates to know about my visa while I'm in Thailand?

For 90-day report and visa extension submissions, students can submit their passport at the Student Affairs Office.

All GRAD students must have their TM30 (residence report) completed before submitting passports for 90-day report and visa extension. Please ask your landlord for the report of residence slip.

After submission you will receive an email from us detailing further instructions on additional document submission, appointment date and pickup process.

For visa extension, you will need to go in person. Van will be arranged to depart from Empire Tower Ground Floor on the appointment dates. Students will be emailed details once the appointment is confirmed.

Please email for more information or clarification.

What if I need medical help in Thailand?

Please ensure that you are carrying your insurance card and passport with you when you visit the hospital. While some hospitals can deduct your coverage directly, at government hospitals and clinics, you will have to pay first. In the case that you have to pay first, please make sure to send us clear pictures of the following:

  • Passport Information Page
  • Medical Certificate
  • Medical Bills
  • Bank Book

Scan and email your documents to

Who can I contact in an emergency at the Webster Thailand campus?

In case of any emergencies or urgent matters, please contact the Resident Assistant (RA) at 099-890-6077 or email us at