The Dance degree program at Webster University prepares students for careers in performance, choreography, and teaching as well as for entrance into a master of fine arts (MFA) or master of arts (MA) programs. Dance majors may earn a BA or BFA in dance with an emphasis in ballet or modern, and all students develop a well-rounded understanding of the world of dance.
Many on-campus opportunities exist for dance students to perform, such as the Webster University Dance Ensemble—the department's performance company that produces a major concert each Spring and participates annually in the American College Dance Association conference. Additionally, the Department of Dance offers multiple concert dance forms including classical ballet, modern dance, jazz, and tap.
Areas of Emphasis:
Partnerships with World-Class Cultural Institutions such as:
- Opera Theatre of Saint Louis and The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis
- The Saint Louis Symphony Orchestra and Dance St. Louis
- Vienna Academy of Fine Art of which Webster University is the only American university that has a partnership.
Dance Academic Programs
To read about specific program requirements, learning outcomes and how to apply, click on a program from the following list:
- Bachelor of Arts in Dance (B.A.)
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Dance with an emphasis in Ballet (BFA)
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Dance with an emphasis in Modern (BFA)
- Minor in Dance Technique
- Minor in Dance Theory
Acceptance to the Department of Dance as a degree-seeking student is by audition. There is no audition required for a dance minor. Auditions are held on campus throughout the year and conducted in the form of a class. The audition will consist of classes in ballet and modern techniques. It is preferable that applicants have a solid background in ballet. To request an audition, please complete the audition request form.