Education: Student Frequently Asked Questions


How can I get a transcript?
Requests for transcripts are handled through the Registrar's Office.

How can I get a copy of my grades?
Requests for grades are handled through the Registrar's Office. You can also view your grades in Connections.

When can I obtain my grades?  Where to I find them?
Grades can be obtained online in Connections one week after the end of class.

How can I drop a class?
For semester and term classes you have until the end of the first two weeks of class to drop a class. You can either drop a class online in Connections or fill out a drop slip and turn it in to the School of Education main office. After two weeks into the term you cannot drop a class, but can withdraw. For further assistance or for questions about a class that is shorter than an 8-week term, contact your .

How do I withdraw from a class?
Fill out a withdrawal petition and turn it in to the School of Education main office. For further assistance contact your department representative.

How can I contact my instructor?
You can find instructor contact information by searching the Webster directory.

Where and when does a practicum meet?
For Reading practica, contact Phyllis Wilkinson. For all other practica, contact Jan Willcox.

Where can I find course schedules?
Course schedules are available online. The School of Education provides and online course schedule page for each semester or term. Students are also able to search for all Webster courses online.

GRADUATE: When do I need to Advance to Candidacy?
You must Advance to Candidacy between 9-21 hours of coursework. The Advancement to Candidacy forms for your specific graduate program are available for download. Contact your advisor if you have any additional questions.

GRADUATE: When will I know if my Advancement to Candidacy has been accepted?
Once your Advancement to Candidacy has been reviewed, you will be notified by your department indicating the status of your review. If you haven't received notification after four weeks, please contact your department representative.

UNDERGRADUATE: I'm interested in pursuing a BA in Education or a BA in Educational Studies, what do I do?
If you are not currently an undergraduate student at Webster you first need to apply through the Office of Admission. After applying to the university, or if you are an existing Webster undergraduate student and wish to change your major or add a double-major, then contact Sheila Jordan to be referred to the correct advisor.

Back to Top


Who is my advisor?
New students will receive a letter from your department representative notifying you of your advisor assignment. Current students can look up their advisor through Connections.

How do I make an appointment with an advisor?
Contact your department representative.

Back to Top


Do I need to work on a master's degree to get certification?
Though not a requirement, students can elect to work on their certification requirements while seeking an MAT degree. Please refer to our section on Teacher Certification.

Can I work on my master's and certification at the same time?
Yes, refer to our section on Teacher Certification.

Back to Top


When can I start registering for classes?
Registration dates can be found in the university's academic calendar.

Can I register for classes over the phone?
Students can only register for classes online or through their advisor.

I am unable to register for classes online, what could be wrong?
There are several issues that can prevent a student from registering for a class: 1) the start date of the class is too close to the date on which the student is attempting to register, 2) the student has a hold on their account, or 3) the student does not have a password and is unable to log into Connections. To obtain a new password, contact the contact the Webster University Help Desk. If you are a new student and this is your first semester, you will need to meet with your advisor, after which your password will be mailed to you.

Back to Top

Online Classes

How do I log in to my online class?
Students can login either through Connections, or from the Online Learning Center homepage. Students must have a Connections logon and password. If not, contact the Help Desk. After logging onto Connections, click on the Student tab and then on My Courses link to access your courses. Student can log into online courses the Friday before the course starts.

Back to Top


When can students graduate?
Upon successfully completing their programs, students can graduate in August, October, December, March and May. The commencement ceremony is held in May for students who graduated during that academic year. Students must fill out a Petition to Graduate form when registering for their final term or semester of classes in order to notify Webster of their intent to graduate.  Undergraduate Petition      Graduate Petition

I will be graduating and want to walk across stage in the May ceremony. What do I do?
You must RSVP on the Commencement site. The site includes information on all the steps to graduation including where to buy your cap and gown, and hotel information, and driving directions to the commencement ceremony at the Muny.

I will be graduating in August, can I walk in the May commencement ceremony prior to the completion of my degree or will I need to wait until the following May?
Students who are graduating in August can submit a request, including contact information and student ID number, for permission to walk in the prior May ceremony to the School of Education at Students must be registered for their final summer courses in order for their request to be considered. A response will be sent to the student on the final decision.

Who can I contact regarding my Petition to Graduate?
Contact your department representative.

Back to Top