Scope of Responsibilities
The Bursar's Office is responsible for managing student accounts receivable and university cashiering. This includes processing payments and credits, billing tuition and fees, processing miscellaneous charges and manual account adjustments, publication of monthly billing statements, processing inter-fund transactions, processing student and third party refunds. The Bursar's office also provides related customer service while monitoring and managing student account compliance and collection.
Student account tuition and fee transactions, miscellaneous charges, payments, and other account activity are accounted for in separate accounts receivable subsidiaries:
- S/A Student Accounts: The Business office is responsible for processing all S/A charge and payment transactions. This subsidiary encompasses all standard degree seeking St. Louis and U.S. domestic campus accounts. This also includes students admitted to a domestic Webster University campus who are studying abroad at one of our international sites as well as international site students studying abroad in the United States. S/A charge and payment transactions are always accounted for in U.S. dollars.
- SYMP Community Music School (CMS): The Business office is responsible for processing all CMS charge and payment transactions. This subsidiary encompasses music lesson charges and related payments in Webster's Community Music School located on the main campus in St. Louis, Missouri. CMS charge and payment transactions are accounted for in U.S. dollars.
- NGEN: Geneva Student A/R: This subsidiary includes charges and payments for students admitted directly to the Geneva campus. Geneva charge and payment transactions are accounted for in Swiss Francs. Geneva accounts receivable are managed locally in Geneva, Switzerland.
- NLEI Leiden Student A/R: This subsidiary includes charges and payments for students admitted directly to the Leiden campus. Leiden charge and payment transactions are accounted for in Euros. Leiden accounts receivable are managed locally in Leiden, the Netherlands.
- NVIE Vienna Student A/R: This subsidiary includes charges and payments for students admitted directly to the Vienna campus. Vienna charge and payment transactions are accounted for in Euros. Vienna accounts receivable are managed locally in Vienna, Austria.
China, London, and Thailand accounts receivable are managed by the respective campuses in a separate system outside subsidiaries directly accessible by the Business Office.
The Bursar's Office is organized into two departments: the Business Office and the Collections Department. Business Office operational practices are organized into the following areas:
Cashier Services and Operations
- Cashier General Policy (daily balancing / receipts/ armored car pickup schedule)
- Departmental Deposits
- Check Cashing
- Parking Permits
- Semester Bus Passes
- Petty Cash Vouchers
- Default Term Maintenance
Student Payments and Credits
- Student Payment Options
- Check Payments (lockbox and OED)
- On-line Payments
- Advance Deposit Processing
- Scholarship Checks
- Alternative Loan Checks
- Financial Aid Posting
- Direct Loan Notification Process
- Third Party Billing
- Government and Military Benefits
- Tuition Remission
- Graduate and Teaching Assistants
- Resident Assistants
- Inter-fund Processing
- Small Balance Write-Offs
- Application Fee Payments
Billing and Charge Assessments
- Tuition and Fee Billing
- Room and Board Charges
- Insurance Charges
- Parking Fees
- Graduation Candidacy Fees
- Textbook Charges
- World Traveler Charges
- ID Replacements
- Miscellaneous Debit Forms
Discounts, Waivers, and Account Adjustments
- Tuition and Fee Withdrawal Adjustments and Appeals
- Miscellaneous Credit Forms
- Student Deaths
- Wal-Mart Discounts
- High School Discounts
- CH33 Yellow Ribbon discounts (see Government and Military Benefits)
Student Billing Statements
- Student Refunds
- Third Party Refunds (VA, third parties)
- Credit Card Chargebacks
- Return of Title IV
Account Holds and Clearance Processing
- Hold Maintenance Notification
- Graduation Open Balances
The Collection Department's operational practices are organized into the following areas:
- NSF and Returned Checks
- Internal Collections - Delinquent Accounts
- Collection Agency Assignments
Additional Bursar Office Policies
It is the policy of the Bursar's Office to provide outstanding customer service. Students, parents, and University departments will be treated with courtesy and respect at all times. The Business Office uses the Cisco phone system to monitor and assess telephone inquiry responsiveness.
It is the policy of the Bursar's Office to maintain an effective and secure environment with internal controls and efficient business processes. This policy is subject to system limitations.
It is the policy of the Bursar's Office to pay all office invoices in a timely and accurate manner. This includes armor car services, bookstore invoices, and payment plan vendor fees.
It is the policy of the Bursar's Office to comply with University document management, storage, and archival standards.
- General Policy
- Payments and Credits
- Cashier Services
- Student Account Charges and Adjustments
- Internal Policies and Procedures (PDF)
- Wire Payment Instructions (XLS)
- Miscellaneous Credit Form (DOC)
- Student Payroll Deduction Form (PDF)
- News and Information
- Financial Literacy
- Student Account and Monthly Statements
- Financial Responsibility and Payment Options
- Refunds and Withdrawal Waivers
- Policies and Forms
- Meet the Staff
- Tax Form 1098-T