Frequently Asked Questions: Students | Webster University

Frequently Asked Questions: Students

Are student employee wages subject to taxes?
Earnings from student employment are subject to federal and state taxes. Students need to complete their Federal and State tax withholding information in MyWebster under the Pay & Taxes tab, Tax Withholding. Student employees are generally exempt from FICA withholdings while school is in session, but this may not be the case during school breaks. Student employees can print their W-2 through MyWebster. Also, if a student completes the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), Federal Work-Study earnings should be listed as taxable income.

Are student employees required to take lunch breaks?
Beginning June 21, 2015, the student employee may, but is no longer required, to timestamp out for his/her lunch and timestamp back in when returning from lunch, if the lunch break does not exceed 30 minutes. The system has been programmed to deduct 30 minutes when the shift is 6 hours or more. Employees can be approved by their supervisor to work through their meal break, on rare, exception basis.

Who makes adjustments and/or corrections to Timecards in MyWebster?
Adjustments and corrections to a student’s timecard (missing timestamps, transfer issues, etc.) can be made by the student’s primary supervisor in My Time – Enterprise eTime at any time during the current pay period. If time or pay needs to be adjusted/corrected in a previous pay period a Student Employment Time Correction Form must be completed and submitted to the Payroll Department.

Who approves a student employee’s timecard in MyWebster?
The student employee must approve her/his timecard in My Time – Enterprise eTime at the end of each pay period. The student's supervisor will then need to review and approve the student employee's timecard in My Time – Enterprise eTime at the end of each pay period in order for it to be processed. Only the ADP approving supervisor listed on the Student Employment Authorization Form is authorized to approve that student’s timecard in My Time – Enterprise eTime.

Who should approve my timecard if my supervisor is going to be out of the office?
If the authorized supervisor is not able to approve a timecard he/she must give someone temporary approval authority through the delegation function in My Time – Enterprise eTime.

When should timecards be approved?
Timecards must be approved in My Time – Enterprise eTime according to the Student Payroll Schedule. The normal day of submission is biweekly on Monday by 10:00 a.m. Variances in the time and date of submission are noted on the schedule. The Student Payroll Schedule can be found on the Payroll website.

Timecard falsification?
Falsification of timecards may result in the student becoming ineligible to participate in the Student Employment Program and judicial action could be taken against the student. Please contact the Student Employment Coordinator to discuss our official Human Resource policy on this matter.

Can my timesheet be faxed to the Payroll Office?
Time must be recorded, verified and approved through My Time – Enterprise eTime. The only exception to this would be if a student has not been paid for time worked in a previous pay period. In this event a Student Employment Time Correction Form should be completed and submitted to the Payroll office. The Student Employee Time Correction Forms may be faxed to 314-246-8237 or scanned and emailed to the Payroll Office,

How do students receive their paychecks?
Students have three options to receive their pay:

1)       Paper check. Students will no longer be able to pick up their paychecks from the business office. If you are receiving your pay by check it will be mailed to the address on record in your MyWebster personal information. This is why it is critical that students keep this personal information current.

2)      Students can authorize a percentage of their pay (up to 100%) to be deposited directly to their Webster student account. This is done by the student through MyWebster, Pay & Taxes, Deductions

3)      **Preferred Option** Student employees can designate that their paycheck be deposited directly to a specific bank of their choice. Students need to complete the Direct Deposit information through the MyWebster, Pay & Taxes, Direct Deposit. Your first paycheck, even if you signed up for Direct Deposit, will go to the home address listed under Personal Information in My Time – Enterprise eTime.

How do I find/apply for a student employment position?
Supervisors will post student employment positions directly to Gorlok Career Link, the Webster University's online career management database. Students interested in available positions will apply to the supervisor listed in the job description following any special application instructions.

How many employment positions can a student have?
Students can work up to three positions at a time. Students can be employed in three Budget Student Employment positions, three Federal Work-Study positions*, one Budget Student Employment position and two Federal Work-Study* positions, or one Federal Work-Study position and two Budget Student Employment positions.

*Students must seek permission from their primary Federal Work-Study supervisor to hold additional Federal Work-Study positions. A Student Employment: Additional Federal Work-Study (FWS) Job Agreement Form must accompany your Student Employment Authorization form for the new position.

How many hours can a student employee work?
Student employees may work up to a total of 20 hours per week (combination of all their student employment positions) while classes are in session.  During academic breaks, student employees may work up to 37.5 hours per week provided their award covers this amount and they are registered for classes for the following term/semester.

*Beginning July 1, 2016 undergraduate and graduate student employees will not receive approval to work more than 20 hours per week while classes are in session.

International students may NOT work more than 20 hours per week, except during periods of non-enrollment. This rule ensures compliance with visa regulations.

How do I know if I have Federal Work-Study?
Every student who applies for financial aid receives an award letter listing the programs and award amounts for which they are eligible. Students who are awarded Federal Work-Study will receive an award letter from the Financial Aid Office. If students are not sure whether they have Federal Work-Study, they may contact the Financial Aid Office at (314) 968-6992.

What forms need to be completed once I have been hired?
If a student employee has never worked on campus before, the following forms need to be completed before the student employee may begin working: Student Employment Authorization Form, I-9 with required copies of identification, and FERPA Agreement. These forms are available on the Student Employment For Students website.

Your supervisor can assist you in the completion of these forms. If you have questions about the forms, you may call the Student Employment Coordinator for clarification. If a student employee has worked on campus before, only the Student Employment Authorization Form needs to be completed. International students may need to submit additional forms.

What is the hiring process for an international student?
International students should contact the Student Employment Coordinator if they are interested in finding a position on campus. International students will need to submit additional paperwork for the hiring process. International students need to submit a copy of their passport, visa (F-1 or J-1), I-20 or DS-2019, I-94, and a Social Security Number. All international students will be required to complete information in the Payroll FNIS tax system. The Payroll Department will contact international students with detailed instructions on how to complete their tax information online.

What if an international student doesn’t have a Social Security number?
All international students must apply for a U.S. Social Security number before employment can begin, and the application requires a letter documenting an offer of employment (a copy of the completed Student Employment Authorization Form can be used by an international student applying for a S.S. number.) International students must have been offered a position before they apply for a Social Security number.

International students should visit the Office of Admission Welcome Center once they have secured on-campus employment. This office can assist international students with the Social Security Number application process. The Multicultural and International Student Affairs office can assist students with transportation to the local Social Security Office. International students interested in this option should complete the online request form found at

Keep in mind an international student must apply for a Social Security number before she/he can begin working. When the student’s social security card arrives in the mail, the student needs to provide the Student Employment Coordinator with a copy of the card.     

How is Federal Work-Study awarded for current student employees?
Eligibility for Federal Work-Study, or any type of financial aid, must be re-evaluated each year. As a result, Federal Work-Study eligibility is not guaranteed each year as a student’s financial status may have changed over the course of the year. Additionally, Federal Work-Study is awarded on a first come, first served basis. Students are encouraged to submit their FAFSA and Webster University financial aid forms as early as possible (priority deadline is MARCH 1), so they can increase their chances of receiving Federal Work-Study and other types of financial aid. Students can submit an appeal for an additional Federal Work-Study award through the Financial Aid Office.

Can students have their paychecks directly deposited to a bank of their choosing?
Yes, students can complete the Direct Deposit information in MyWebster, Pay & Taxes, Direct Deposit, to designate their pay to be directly deposited to a specific bank account. Students can also choose a percentage of their paycheck to go towards their student account in MyWebster, Pay & Taxes, Deductions. In other words, a student could have 50% of their paycheck go directly into their personal bank and 50% of their paycheck can go into their student account to pay off any tuition due.

Student Employment Guidelines

Federal Work-Study

Program Date: July 1 - June 30

Program Date for Graduating Students: July 1 - Date of graduation

Budget Student Employment

Program Date: June 1 - May 31

Program Date for Graduating Students: June 1, 2016 - Last day of graduating semester



  • If an undergraduate student plans to work during the summer, they must be registered for Fall classes.
  • Students may work up to 37.5 hours per week during summer (combination of ALL their student employment positions). If they are enrolled in summer classes, they may only work 20 hours.
  • Overtime (more than 37.5 hrs. per week) is NOT authorized for student employees.
  • An undergraduate student may earn their Federal Work-Study award if they have remaining funds until June 30. If they have already earned their full award, they must be switched to your department's budget.
  • Assuming that a student receives a Federal Work-Study award for the following fiscal year, they will start earning on the award on July 1.
  • Institutional student employment (“Budget”) ends May 31.  Institutional student employment (“Budget”) begins June 1.
  • If a student is graduating, then the student’s graduation day is the last day of eligibility for Federal Work-Study.
  • Student workers are not allowed to work in any Student Employment capacity after the last day of their graduating semester unless they are enrolled for classes in a degree seeking program the following semester.  In the event that the student is continuing at Webster University in this manner, the student can be employed as a student worker on budget funding as long as they meet all of the other necessary requirements. 
  • Student employees are not exempt from FICA withholdings during the summer.  They will be charged all Federal, State, Local (if applicable), Social Security, and Medicare taxes.
  • If you want your Graduate Assistant to work over the summer as an institutional (“Budget”) student employee, please complete an Employee Record Form to place your Graduate Student on Leave of Absence and submit the form to Human Resources by May 1. Please submit an Authorization Form to the Student Employment Department Associate to move them to an hourly institutional (“Budget”) student employment position.
  • Undergraduate international student graduates cannot work on campus after the last day of their graduating semester.
  • Graduate international student graduates cannot work on campus after the last day of their graduating semester.

Please access additional information about Webster's new automated human resources and payroll system at MyWebster.