For Employers | Webster University

For Employers


The Student Employment Program is designed to help students meet educational expenses through meaningful employment. Working as a student employee helps the student develop a sense of community and belonging. Students who feel part of their university tend to do better scholastically and remain at the university to degree completion.

The Student Employment Office provides resources for both on-campus and off-campus employers:


On-Campus Employers

The hiring process:

1)  Review the Student Employment Supervisor Manual to learn more about the program’s policies and procedures.

2)  Check with Dean/Director/Financial Manager to get approval for position(s).

3)  If the position is new, complete a Job Description and send it to for approval.

4)  After necessary approvals, post the position(s) on Gorlok Career Link.  If you do not already have a Gorlok Career Link
    account, contact Career Planning and Development (x6982) to create one.

5)  Screen and interview the candidates.

6)  Before an offer is given, contact Student Employment to verify Federal Work-Study Award and determine what
     paperwork is required for student to begin working.

7)  Send required paperwork to Student Employment:

    1. Complete I-9 Form on or before the student’s 1st day worked.

      i.  Student Employee completes and signs Section 1.

      ii.  Supervisor examines and copies original forms of Identification.  Supervisor then completes Section 2 using the
           provided forms of Identification.

      iii.  Examples for completing I-9 Form

    2. Complete the Student Employment Authorization Form

      i.  Student completes top section.

      ii. Supervisor completes middle section

    3. FERPA Agreement

    4. Additional Federal Work-Study Job Agreement Form (if student has another FWS position)

      i.  This form is necessary to ensure that supervisors are working together when developing schedules to prevent
          students from exceeding FWS Award or allowed hours worked per week

    5. International Students (Supervisor’s Guide on Hiring an International Student):

      i.   Copy of passport page

      ii.  Copy of F-1 or J-1 visa

      iii. Copy of I-20 or DS-2019

      iv. Copy of I-94

      v.  Copy Social Security Card

8)  Close the position on Gorlok Career Link.  Send Rejection Email to students who did not get the position, so they know
     it is no longer available. (Rejection Email Instructions)

9)  Once Student Employment has received and processed the forms, Student Employment will email the student (with
     the supervisor copied) regarding ADP setup and New Hire Orientation.  Please verify with the student that they
     have completed orientation before they start working.  The student’s timecard will not be activated until they have
     participated in the orientation.

10)  Establish goals with the student at the start of the position to use as a benchmarking tool later.  This position should
      provide the student with a meaningful learning experience.

11)  Complete Student Employee Performance Evaluation as necessary.

12)  Review FAQ: Supervisors page to find answers to commonly asked questions.





Off-Campus Employers

Student Employment is accepting new Community Service Federal Work-Study agreements for the 2018-2019 academic year.  Please email with questions.

Student Employment provides opportunities for students to use their Federal Work-Study award with off-campus employers. The majority of opportunities available are with local non-profit organizations, who also partake in community service activities.

Federal Criteria for Site Approval - Community services are defined as services that are identified by an institution of higher education through formal or informal consultation with local nonprofit, governmental, and community-based organizations, as designed to improve the quality of life for community residents, particularly low-income individuals, or to solve particular problems related to their needs. These services include:

  • such fields as health care, child care, literacy training, education (including tutorial services), welfare, social services, transportation, housing and neighborhood improvement, public safety, crime prevention and control, recreation, rural development, and community improvement;
  • work in service opportunities or youth corps as defined in Section 101 of the National and Community Services Act of 1990, and services in the agencies, institutions and activities designated in Section 124(a) of that act;
  • support services to students with disabilities (including students with disabilities who are enrolled at the school — this is the only statutory exception to the requirement that community service be open and accessible to the community); and
  • activities in which a Federal Work-Study student serves as a mentor for such purposes as tutoring, supporting educational and recreational activities, and counseling, including career counseling.

Hiring a Student Employee

Community service sites must be approved by the Student Employment Coordinator before they can hire Webster University student employees.

Required Paperwork - The required paperwork must be submitted to Student Employment before the student employee begins working. Your student employee CANNOT be added to the MyWebster system (and therefore, cannot be paid) until all paperwork is received and processed. Paperwork processing can take up to 3 business days. Once their information is entered in the system, an email from the Student Employment Department Associate will be generated to the student (and the supervisor CC’d) with instructions on how to register for the MyWebster portal (ADP).

Community Service Student Employment Authorization Form - When a student employee is hired at a community service site for the first time, the student and their employer will need to fill out the Community Service Student Employment Authorization Form.

Federal Form I-9 – The Federal I-9 Form is the official Employment Eligibility Verification document. This form must be completed in person with the Supervisor or Student Employment.

Who Needs to Complete it:

  • All new, first-time employees
  • Students who have not worked for the University in the past 12 months

Students needing to complete the Federal I-9 Form must provide official documents proving identity and employment authorization. A complete list of acceptable documentation is located on page 9 of the Federal I-9 Form

Community Service Timecard – The Community Service Timecard must be completed and signed by the student employee and supervisor every pay period. Please reference the Student Employment Payroll Schedule. Timecards are due, with signatures, by 10:00 am the Monday after the pay period ends. Please be aware that there are early deadlines around holiday breaks. Timecards that are received after the Monday deadline will delay student employee pay. Please email timecards to the Student Employment Department Associate. The Student Employment Coordinator will pick up original timecards at a future date.