What We Believe
This music program seeks to educate vibrant artists who are global citizens. Our musicians will demonstrate individual excellence, a spirit of service, and a world-embracing mindset.
- Webster University adopts mission-focused strategies that help meet the need of our students and the communities we serve. We do this through a global mindset that welcomes cultural immersion, new ways of living and thinking, and education that opens our students to the world and in turn, opens the world to our students.
- Webster provides uniquely global experiences that prepare our students to lead as global citizen. Together, students, faculty, staff and alumni create an intentional future - one that advances Webster's vision and mission into the next century by anticipating and serving the needs of our local communities.
- Webster University is a dynamic and strong global institution. Faculty teaching, scholarship, research, artistic endeavors, curriculum development, and service support our culture of academic excellence across the network.
- Our students deserve the highest level of academic excellence. We commit to continue providing the degree programs and academic enrichment opportunities that will help our diverse student population embrace their individual talents and strengths to achieve success. At Webster University, our focus is on student learning.
- Our programs reflect global academic excellence and are purposefully structured to help students succeed in their lives and in their careers.
- Our distinguished faculty of artist/teachers provides a balance of global scholarship and professional experience to bring first-class, real-world knowledge to their classrooms.
- Our faculty and staff have strong local and international connections and are committed to providing unparalleled personal service to our students.
- Our students, faculty and staff have exceptional opportunities to connect with people from around the world.
- Our learning environment embraces an appreciation for diversity and inclusion based on race, color, creed, national origin, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, socioeconomic status, disability, religion or military status.
Our Departmental Outcomes Statement provides some nitty-gritty.
Department of Music News
" Webster is a rarity among schools. So few schools have the academic strength, performance opportunities, and the heart that I found at my time at Webster. I gained a family while getting some of the best training here."
- Liz Bivens, BM Vocal Performance '11
"My four years at Webster can be summarized by the incredible amount of guidance and support that I received from the Department of Music faculty. I never felt lost in a class or concerned about my future because there were so many wonderful people encouraging me."
- Hannah Ingram, BA '11
"Vienna was key in understanding many artistic viewpoints. Whether it be Vienna or anywhere else in Europe, the study-abroad experience will stick with you."
- Tony Morales, orchestra concertmaster and cross-country athlete, BM Instrumental Performance '13
"Going to Vienna was the best decision I have ever made. It changed my life. I discovered so much about myself, and realized that music is not just my passion, but a necessity."
- Emma Sorenson, BM Vocal Performance '13
"My time at Webster University was spent building a strong foundation on which my career has been built. The extraordinary faculty possesses the knowledge, skills, and wisdom necessary to inspire young artists and provide them with opportunities for growth. Through their guidance, I not only fortified my musical skills, but was encouraged to think creatively, take risks, and strive for the best possible outcome with every endeavor."
- Jennifer Johnson Cano, BM Vocal Performance '06, Metropolitan Opera artist
"My education at Webster University has gone above and beyond my expectations. Before transferring to Webster, I was part of music departments at two different universities. The professors, courses, and ensemble opportunities offered at Webster have helped make me a better musician than I believe I would have been with my prior education. The one-on-one input I've experienced with the professors in the Jazz Studies area has prepared me to not only continue my music career with the goals I set prior to graduating, but has has forced me to make higher goals, exceeding my own personal expectations."
- Kiersten Rose, singer/songwriter, BM Jazz Studies/Music Technology '13
"The unique relationship I formed with my professors at Webster is something that I will never forget. They pushed me, encouraged me, and helped me to become the artist I am today. I am so glad I made the decision to go to Webster University."
- Lola Hennicke, BA '13
"I wouldn't have lasted at a larger school. The relationships and bonds I formed at Webster helped me be successful."
- Tim Walther, BM '14
"The faculty are personable -- they are there for my good and well-being. And each faculty member has their own flavor they add to the program."
- Domenic Mendoza, BA '14
- The Atmosphere
- The Curriculum
- The People
- The Result
- Guest Artists
- Alumni Profiles
- Thompson House
- What We Believe
- Department of Music
- Introduction & Overview
- Majors and Programs
- Future Students
- Meet the Faculty
- Performance Ensembles
- Current Students
- Cultural Life
- Summer Camps & Workshops
- Fall Ensemble Auditions
- Performance Calendar