Teaching English as a Foreign Language
(21 credit hours)
All students pursuing the Missouri ESOL Certification or the Webster TEFL Certificate will be considered degree-seeking students and will have the option to pursue one of the MA TESL tracks within 5 years from the start of their TESL coursework
- TESL 5230 Second Language Acquisition (3 hours)
- TESL 5139 English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) Methods (3 hours)
- TESL 5220 Curriculum Development in Second Language Classrooms (3 hours)
- TESL 5350 Language and Culture (3 hours)
- COMM 5750 Special Institute: Grammar for ESL/EFL Teachers
or COMM 5750 Special Institute: Teaching English Pronunciation (3 hours)
- TESL 5040 Practicum in ESOL (taken at the end of the program) (3 hours)
Electives (3 credit hours):
- TESL 5311 Principles and Practices of Language Testing (3 hours)
- TESL 5030 Language History, Planning, and Policy (3 hours)
- COMM 5750 Special Institute: Grammar for ESL/EFL Teachers (3 hours)
- COMM 5750 Special Institute: Teaching English Pronunciation (3 hours)
- COMM 5340 Teaching Language and Language Issues (3 hours)
- COMM 5344 Introduction to Linguistics (3 hours)
- COMM 5199 Teaching Writing (3 hours)
Students who are interested in applying to this certificate program should see the Admission Section of this catalog for general requirements.
- Receipt of official transcripts from the baccalaureate-granting institution.
- Undergraduate cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher.
Send all required admission materials to
Office of Admission
470 East Lockwood Ave.
St. Louis, MO 63119
- St. Louis Home Campus