Student inviting relatives to visit the USA
During your studies at Webster University you may want to invite your parents or other family members to visit. Here are some suggestions to help them apply for a visitor's visa (B-2) at a US consulate or embassy in their home country.
To facilitate their visa interview process you should do the following:
- Write a letter of invitation. Include the purpose of the visit, your relationship to the individuals, a statement of your status here, itinerary details and the length of the time they will be visiting (usually less than three months). It is best to emphasize the temporary nature of the invitation and to demonstrate their intention to return to their home country following the visit. If you will provide their financial support while they are here, include that information as well.
- Include an Enrollment Verification Letter from our Registrar's office to confirm your student status.
- If you are graduating and they are traveling to attend your commencement ceremony, provide details of the Commencement Ceremony (date/time/place, copy of your petition to graduate).
- For additional information about US consulate/embassy locations and application procedures, review the US Department of State visa information at http://www.travel.state.gov/content/visas/eng/visit.html
Providing your family members with this documentation may improve their chance of obtaining a visa; however, there is no guarantee a visa will be issued. The success of their request for a visa lies in their ability to prove that they have no intention of staying permanently in the U.S.
Please note that IRIS staff members are unable to write a letter of invitation for
your family members.
- Letter Request Form (Online)
- Address and Name Change Form (Online)
- Immigration Check-in Form (Online) or PDF
- OPT Reporting Form (Online)
- Reinstatement (PDF)
- Travel Tips (PDF)
- Change of Status (PDF)
Enrollment, Withdrawal and Registration Forms
- Annual Vacation (PDF)
- Program Extension (PDF)
- Reduced Course Load (RCL) (PDF)
- Change of Level
- Withdrawal and Leave of Absence (PDF)
- Shorten Program Form (PDF)
F-1 or J-1 Transfer Forms
- F-1 Transfer-in Form (PDF). This form is for F-1 students transferring to St. Louis campus only. Students tranferring to other U.S. campuses must contact International Recruitment & International Services Office at email@example.com to get the correct F-1 Transfer Form.
- F-1 Transfer-out Form (PDF)
- Economic Hardship Employment (PDF)
- Internship with an International Organization (PDF)
- Curriculum Practical Training (CPT) (PDF)
- Optional Practical Training (OPT) (PDF)
- 17-month OPT STEM Extension (PDF)
- Cap-gap Extension (PDF)
- J-1 Academic Training (AT) (PDF)
- Maintaining Status
- Important Forms
- Full-time Enrollment
- Travel and Re-entry
- Driver License & State Identification Card
- Tax Information
- International Services
- Prospective Students
- Admitted Students
- Current Students
- Contact IRIS
- Study Abroad & Site Transfer to the U.S.
- Immigration Basics for Academic Advisors
- Multicultural Center