Athletic Learning Community
We invite you to take part in a dynamic Learning Community as part of your first-year experience. Students selected to participate in the Athletics LC will join a community of Student-Athletes who want to achieve both in the classroom and in their respective sport. Being a member of the Athletics LC will help you meet students who share similar interests and understand the demands that come with being a Division III Student-Athlete. Membership in the LC will show you how to take advantage of resources to enhance your educational and athletic performances.
Students in the Athletics LC will learn:
- how to improve and prepare your mind and body for the classroom and athletic field
- how to successfully work in collaborative team and group environments
- how to build strong communication skills and writing abilities
- how to actively support and engage in life-long fitness
During the 2013-2014 academic year the Athletics LC will attend many exclusive programs together. These programs were designed by the Athletics LC faculty to enhance their classroom curriculum. These programs were free to Athletics LC students. While these programs often change from year to year, this list of programs should give you a better idea of the kinds of events you can attend with your LC.
- Tour one or more St. Louis sporting venues
- Attend the National Sportsmanship Award Dinner
- Visit with Sports leaders in St. Louis
- Attend various Webster Athletics home events
Athletics LC Courses:
Student in each learning community must take all of the courses in a cohort.
FRSH 1200 The Game of Our Lives - Dr. Eric Goedereis (Tuesday/Thursday 10am-11:20am)
What can a good coach teach us about living a great life? The game plan for this course is to use coaches and other leaders, historic and current, famous and infamous, in order to examine how these ‘teachers' approach their craft and how their ‘students' respond. We will discuss in this class, coaching and leading involve much more than carrying a whistle or a stopwatch and coming up with a game plan. Rather, we will ask ourselves how one's personal philosophy on life can result in success both on and off the field. Ready? BREAK!
HLSC 1310 Wellness and Healthy Lifestyles
HLSC 1582 Strength and Conditioning
- Scholars Learning Community
- Pathways Learning Community
- Social Engagement Learning Community
- Global Education Learning Community
- Communications Learning Community
- Music Learning Community
- Education Learning Community
- Athletic Learning Community
- Performing Learning Community