Education Learning Community
We invite you to take part in a dynamic Learning Community as part of your first-year experience. Students selected to participate in the School of Education LC will join a community of educator-scholars who apply critical reflections and creative energies to enhance learning in schools and other educational settings. Being a member of the Education LC will help you meet students who share similar interests. Additionally, membership in the LC will show you how to take advantage of resources to enhance your education degree.
Students in the Education LC will learn:
- how to build strong communication skills and writing abilities
- how to actively support and engage in life-long learning
- how to apply the content of their courses in formulating their identities as teachers and learners
Education LC Previous Programs:
During the 2013-2014 academic year the Education LC attended many exclusive programs together. These programs were designed by the Education LC faculty to enhance their classroom curriculum. These programs were free to Education LC students. While these programs often change from year to year, this list of programs should give you a better idea of the kinds of events you can attend with your LC.
- Cracker Barrel
- City Museum
- Lemp Mansion
- Science Center and dinner at The Hill
Education LC Courses:
Student in each learning community must take all of the courses in a cohort.
FRSH 1200 Those Who Can…Teach: Expressions of Teacher Identity in Literature, Memoir, and Popular Culture
This seminar offers prospective educators an opportunity to explore the roles of teachers and learners through the lenses of literature, non-fiction, film, and popular culture. Participants will examine societal norms and expectations for those in the teaching profession....from superheroes to stodgy dispensers of knowledge. Together, we will look beyond our own borders to discover global models of educational practices.
EDUC 2110 Communication in Education
PHIL 2320 Contemporary Moral Problems
- Scholars Learning Community
- Pathways Learning Community
- Social Engagement Learning Community
- Global Education Learning Community
- Communications Learning Community
- Music Learning Community
- Education Learning Community
- Athletic Learning Community
- Performing Learning Community