Education Learning Community
We invite you to take part in a dynamic Learning Community as part of your first-year experience. Students selected to participate in the School of Education LC will join a community of educator-scholars who apply critical reflections and creative energies to enhance learning in schools and other educational settings. Being a member of the Education LC will help you meet students who share similar interests. Additionally, membership in the LC will show you how to take advantage of resources to enhance your education degree.
Students in the Education LC will learn:
- how to build strong communication skills and writing abilities
- how to actively support and engage in life-long learning
- how to apply the content of their courses in formulating their identities as teachers and learners
Education LC Previous Programs:
During the 2013-2014 academic year the Education LC attended many exclusive programs together. These programs were designed by the Education LC faculty to enhance their classroom curriculum. These programs were free to Education LC students. While these programs often change from year to year, this list of programs should give you a better idea of the kinds of events you can attend with your LC.
- Cracker Barrel
- City Museum
- Lemp Mansion
- Science Center and dinner at The Hill
Education LC Courses:
Student in each learning community must take all of the courses in a cohort.
FRSH 1200 Contemporary Ethical Issues in Education
This course will be a mix of theory and practice in dealing with educational issues. We will specifically be looking at school uniforms, free speech issues, gender and education, issues of educational disparities and plenty of other basic ethical issues with which teachers might have to deal. Along with the practical material, we will also discuss some educational theory, specifically John Dewey.
EDUC 2110 Communication in Education
EDUC 2140 Writing for Teachers
- Scholars Learning Community
- Pathways Learning Community
- Social Engagement Learning Community
- Global Education Learning Community
- Communications Learning Community
- Music Learning Community
- Education Learning Community
- Athletic Learning Community
- Performing Learning Community