Education Learning Community
We invite you to take part in a dynamic Learning Community as part of your first-year experience. Students selected to participate in the School of Education LC will join a community of educator-scholars who apply critical reflections and creative energies to enhance learning in schools and other educational settings. Being a member of the Education LC will help you meet students who share similar interests. Additionally, membership in the LC will show you how to take advantage of resources to enhance your education degree.
Students in the Education LC will learn:
- how to build strong communication skills and writing abilities
- how to actively support and engage in life-long learning
- how to apply the content of their courses in formulating their identities as teachers and learners
Education LC Previous Programs:
During the 2015-2016 academic year the Education LC attended many exclusive programs together. These programs were designed by the Education LC faculty to enhance their classroom curriculum. These programs were free to Education LC students. While these programs often change from year to year, this list of programs should give you a better idea of the kinds of events you can attend with your LC.
- Volunteering with local schools
- City Museum
- STL Science Center and dinner at The HIll
Education LC Courses:
Student in each learning community must take all of the courses in a cohort.
FRSH 1200: Schools for Today…and What Gets in the Way
We live in an age of constant change…technological advances, shifting societal demographics and uncertainties about the nature and demands of the workplace. And yet, many schools operate in the same ways that they did a hundred years ago. This seminar will invite future teachers to experience the work of educators who are utilizing the principles of democratic education and inquiry-based curricula to create classrooms that foster risk-taking, creative thinking, cognitive flexibility and meaningful learning. Participants will be invited to imagine what schools can and should be and their role in promoting educational equity.
EDUC 2110 Communication in Education
EDUC 2140 Writing for Teachers
- Scholars Learning Community
- Pathways Learning Community
- Social Engagement Learning Community
- Global Engagement Learning Community
- Communications Learning Community
- Music Learning Community
- Education Learning Community
- Athletic Learning Community
- Performing Learning Community