Music Learning Community
Being an artist means being a part of a special community. The Music Learning Community allows first-year music and art majors to begin exploring how their talents make them creative and tolerant citizens who have an awareness of the relevance of music and art in our changing world. This community will intentionally bring together these two unique majors and cultivate a collaborative, mutually beneficial learning experience. Students will work to develop a combination of knowledge, skills, values, motivation and self-awareness to help them foster their creativity!
Students in the Music LC will learn:
- how to further appreciate art and music from studying interdisciplinary environments
- how to strengthen their ability to analyze, reflect, and think critically about the world around them
- how to gain confidence in composition and communication skills
During the 2013-2014 academic year the Fine Arts LC attended many exclusive programs together. These programs were designed by the Fine Arts LC faculty to enhance their classroom curriculum. These programs were free to Fine Arts LC students. While these programs often change from year to year, this list of programs should give you a better idea of the kinds of events you can attend with your LC.
- Gallery Hop: attended three gallery openings in the St. Louis area
- City Museum
- Production of RED
Music LC Courses:
Student in each learning community must take all of the courses in a cohort.
MUSC 1810 Musicianship I
Studies in interval recognition, triad and seventh-chord recognition, recognition of basic elements of rhythm. Sight-singing, exercises in rhythmic, melodic, harmonic dictation; keyboard progressions. The analysis of music from an aural perspective. Original composition.
MUSC 1010 Music Theory I
This course will study music notation, major and minor scales and key signatures, internals, rhythmic notation, triad and seventh chords, elements of voice leading and analysis, and original composition.
MUSC 1020 Music Theory II
- Scholars Learning Community
- Pathways Learning Community
- Social Engagement Learning Community
- Global Education Learning Community
- Communications Learning Community
- Music Learning Community
- Education Learning Community
- Athletic Learning Community
- Performing Learning Community